What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I can't type "apostrophe s"

DerbyDad03

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm having an issue with the spell checker, or maybe it's the auto-correction feature on my iPad 2.

The issue occurs whenever I try to enter a word ending in "apostrophe s".

I'll demonstrate it right here. I am going to type in a few sentences where I am trying to enter a word ending in "apostrophe s". I'll just type along, ignoring the pop up spelling suggestion, which the iPad will use unless I X out of it.

The dog' stair is dirty. (I tried to enter "The dog's hair is dirty.")

My daughter' school is closed. (I tried to enter "My daughter's school is closed.")

There' said problem. (I tried to enter "There's a problem.")

Every time I try to use "apostrophe s" I have to X out of the suggestion - which typically makes no grammatical sense - or correct the changed text.

Does everyone have this problem?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If it's causing problems, turn it off in Settings - General - Keyboard.
I don't use this feature, so no issue here.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's an auto-correct problem that has recently appeared. Until the issue is fixed all you can do is watch carefully whenever you're typing apostrophe s or any letter directly following an apostrophe, and correct the problem when it appears. I had the problem appear in these sentences as I was typing them. It's either this or turn off auto- correct as J.A. Suggested.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm having an issue with the spell checker, or maybe it's the auto-correction feature on my iPad 2.

The issue occurs whenever I try to enter a word ending in "apostrophe s".

I'll demonstrate it right here. I am going to type in a few sentences where I am trying to enter a word ending in "apostrophe s". I'll just type along, ignoring the pop up spelling suggestion, which the iPad will use unless I X out of it.

The dog' stair is dirty. (I tried to enter "The dog's hair is dirty.")

My daughter' school is closed. (I tried to enter "My daughter's school is closed.")

There' said problem. (I tried to enter "There's a problem.")

Every time I try to use "apostrophe s" I have to X out of the suggestion - which typically makes no grammatical sense - or correct the changed text.

Does everyone have this problem?

Oh, good! It's not me and my stubby fingers! But it doesn't happen to me all the time. I didn't get any apostrophes when I tried the first three sentences (got daughters and dogs) but when I typed "there's a problem" I had no issue.

But, it happens randomly for me. And I don't even notice it - until I post, of course. :)

So, I would say there is a glitch someone in the keyboard. If a restart or reset didn't help, the only thing I can suggest is to send feedback to Apple via this link: http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Marilyn

P.S. If you don't know about restarts or resets, holler back and we'll describe the process.

OP
DerbyDad03

DerbyDad03

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks all. I'm glad to hear that it' snot (it's not) just my iPad with the issue. I also agree that it' said (it's a) recent issue. It may have started after I upgraded to iOS 7, but I can' test (cant' test) that until SWMBO comes home with her iPad2 which hasn't been (that one worked!) upgraded yet.

It appears that if I type slower it works fine: it's not happening now but it' said (it's a) shame that if I type fast the problem comes back.

I will be sending feedback to Apple since it' sand (it's an) issue with their software.

Most reactions

Latest posts