What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I can't install any apps after ios 5 update!

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok had both iPads in hand and no dice. What I did not have is the laptop that is home to the iTunes application and iPad backup.

No pending iTunes download on the ipad1. It is prompting properly for my password on pre-existing applications and his for anything he installed under his account.

Problem has worsened though as neither pre-existing nor newly installed apps will update. Nor can I install anything new under either account without getting the infinite waiting icon.

Tomorrow I will check iTunes status on my laptop which is docked at work...oddly enough because I own an iPad! I smell a wipe and total sync for the ipad1 I fear.

My new iPad exhibits no such issues.

Will keep all posted. Thanks for all the help !

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While I love my iPad and am familiar with all it's capabilities (thanks in large part to knowledge gained here) I liken myself to a lost child when navigating iTunes as related to iPad functions like saving, restoring, syncing,etc.

I suspect my current woes trying to get my old iPad1 to behave as I desire as related to pre-existing applications vs. a new iTunes account and apps installed by it are rooted in the process I performed preparing both units last week. What I did I can't recall specifically but remember it being a rather confusing process. To complicate matters I upgraded the iPad1 to IOS5 as a first task then proceeded to syncing both.

I was wondering if someone could provide a walk through of how to properly prepare my ipad1 for deployment to my son.

My wish is to have all applications I purchased from the ipad1 to remain operable and updatable while having my son utilize his own iTunes account to install additional applications at his discretion. In theory I think I understand the concept. Going forward my son would have to provide my password to upgrade pre-existing applications and his to install and maintain new ones. As you can infer from this thread however the ipad1 is not cooperating so tomorrow it is my intent to do a factory reset on the ipad1 then do a full sync of my new iPad to the ipad1 followed by signing on under his new iTunes ID and reinstalling the few new apps he did manage to get installed before all updates and installs started the infinite waiting issue.

Does this plan sound solid? Is there a better/quicker way to get the ipad1 to function as described above? If someone could provide a step by step walk through I would be greatly appreciative.

In any case however I will keep everyone posted and provide what I ultimately did to resolve the problem

Thanks in advance for any assistance provided.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was really hoping that would work! Well at least try a reset first, you probably already know the steps, but I'll include them for others. Hold the power off button and the home button simultaneously, keep holding them in and you will see the power off slide appear and disappear, wait until you see the Apple logo appear before releasing the buttons. It will take a little longer for your iPad to start.
Good luck!

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
leelai said:
We have had many reports of this problem, have a look in your ITunes app for any downloads that are waiting, may be a podcast, delete the waiting download by swiping and then delete, your other app downloads should then be good to go.
Let us know if this is it.

Bingo!

While I had no downloads active I had a fistful of updates to existing apps that I updated on my iPad but not in iTunes.

I was actually preparing for a wipe of the iPad1 and as part of the preparation I pulled down all available updates.

Too my delight once they completed the ipad1 eternal waiting icon changed to loading and ultimately installing!

I did some follow up testing bringing down a new app under both my iTunes ID then the new one my son is using and all is well.

Then I got greedy and checked the download applications installed on other devices under the store settings and installed a new app on my new iPad.....alas it did not show up on the ipad1 and I even tried signing into the store under my ID. Of course when the new app didn't auto install I just grabbed it from the store a it showed installed because I had just installed it on my new iPad.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Midranger4 said:
Bingo!

While I had no downloads active I had a fistful of updates to existing apps that I updated on my iPad but not in iTunes.

I was actually preparing for a wipe of the iPad1 and as part of the preparation I pulled down all available updates.

Too my delight once they completed the ipad1 eternal waiting icon changed to loading and ultimately installing!

I did some follow up testing bringing down a new app under both my iTunes ID then the new one my son is using and all is well.

Then I got greedy and checked the download applications installed on other devices under the store settings and installed a new app on my new iPad.....alas it did not show up on the ipad1 and I even tried signing into the store under my ID. Of course when the new app didn't auto install I just grabbed it from the store a it showed installed because I had just installed it on my new iPad.

Well that's great news, I'm so glad it's now been sorted.
Don't know why that app didn't install on your sons iPad, unless he was signed into his own account when you did it.
Now it's time to just enjoy the iPad after that little drama. Enjoy!!

Most reactions

Latest posts