What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I can't find my San Francisco Pictures:( FOUND THEM!

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have this new camera and about in tears. I downloaded all 309 pictures to my computer and we spent forever going through them and so I was done and closed the screen where that was ~ and now I can't find them on my computer!

I have this program that came with the camera but it won't open.:mad: I finally went to My Computer and right clicked on my camera and downloaded the pictures that way.

But where in the hell are they now? It has been a long day ~ I think I may cry.:(

Last edited:

k7lvo

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Do you use Windows or Mac?
If Windows, did you cut/paste or copy/paste? Did you Send To?

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hooked up my camera and then went to My Computer and right clicked and from there, I forget how, exactly ~ downloaded them.

Then they popped up and I worked on them for a while. When I was done, I closed the window, immediately realizing that, knowing me, I forgot to see where they were!

I was going to search the whole damn computer, but what would I search for? I am not sure....

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess they have a .jpg extension, you could search for that, then order the found photos by date and time since presumably they're the most recent ones.

Tim

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's an idea. Cool. I also thought I would just re-hook my camera back up and download them again.

But I deleted them.:mad:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Or they're in 'Recent Items' - click the Windows menu button at the bottom left hand corner and select 'Recent Items' if you were actually working on them.

Tim

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am never gonna find them, Tim. How can you lose something on your own F* computer?

It can only happen to me, I'm tellin ya.:(

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Leave your computer searching for .jpg extensions overnight. By the way, I can't remember, so don't get cross if you've already said this, but they're not in the default 'Pictures' folder are they? It's the default location - but I'm sure you've looked there so I'll go away and hide...

Tim

Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
I am never gonna find them, Tim. How can you lose something on your own F* computer?

It can only happen to me, I'm tellin ya.:(

You can't actually delete a file from Windows without the help of a third party program.

I will try to explain this with a somewhat inaccurate analogy:
The hard drive operates similar to a book. You have the content on the pages, but to get to the right content, you would use the index, as it tells you exactly on what page you will find a certain item. Now windows does the same, it keeps a reference list, of where each file is stored. When you "delete" a file, all windows does it remove that name from the reference list, I.e. from our books index. But the file is still there, there just isn't a convenient way to access it, after all, would you read a whole book, just to find one reference?

Anyway, this is where file recovery programs come in. A software, such as recuva (http://www.filehippo.com/download_recuva/) does just that, it browses through each sector of the hard drive and compares it's findings with the index, if it comes across a file, which is not on the index, recuva will give you an option to restore the file. This should also work with SD cards, so just connect that one to your PC, run Recuva and then restore the images.

Something to keep in mind is, that when windows deletes the reference to a certain file, it will think that the space is free, and may just save another file right in the same spot, in which case file recovery becomes problematic. So it is always advisable to try the file recovery soon after the incident took place, especially with the ubersmart Windows Vista & 7, which run automatic defragmentation, whenever the computer is on, but not used by someone.

k7lvo

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That's an idea. Cool. I also thought I would just re-hook my camera back up and download them again.

But I deleted them.:mad:

You could search by Date created, using the date you took them.

How did you delete them? If you used File Explorer, the should be in the Recycle Bin and you should be able to recover them.

ipaduser434

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try Picassa. It finds ALL images on your computer - even those associated with games.

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did. I am embarrassed to admit where they were.:eek: I took a few more pictures and downloaded them off my camera to see where they go.

Windows Photo Gallery. I never knew there was a Windows Photo Gallery. I have all my pictures in Pictures and my other cameras had their own program, so they uploaded there.

So ~ now I just sent them all to my Pictures.

Thanks Guys!

I think I will change my title of my Thread and post them.:D

Most reactions

Latest posts