What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I Cannot download IOS 5.1 to my Ipad or Iphone!!!

packerman8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How to Fix Update Issue!

Believe it or not, I have been having the same problem as a lot of people have reported. After checking the internet over and over for a answer - I found one that worked instantly for me. Go to Settings - Wifi - What your connected to & Change DNS to 8.8.8.8 - This is Google's DNS Server. It started downloading right away and my IPAD and IPHONE 4S are both updating to the new version right now.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hivoltage said:
Well I am glad for everybody, but I still have no luck with Ipad, Iphone on Itunes and OTA. What the????

Get the new update to iTunes on your computer. Then connect your device to that computer using the sync cable. iTunes will then download and install 5.1 on you iDevice. This is what I had to do to force the upgrade as they would not come over the air.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
packerman8 said:
Believe it or not, I have been having the same problem as a lot of people have reported. After checking the internet over and over for a answer - I found one that worked instantly for me. Go to Settings - Wifi - What your connected to & Change DNS to 8.8.8.8 - This is Google's DNS Server. It started downloading right away and my IPAD and IPHONE 4S are both updating to the new version right now.

Wow. This worked great on my apple tv which refused to update until I made this change. Good job.

maryhattie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hivoltage said:
Dang it....I still cant update to 5.1 today!!!!

Ive been trying to update the last three days and still having problems. My husband and friend updated thiers with one try in georgia.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I was having a problem updating my iPad2, it kept checking for update and then it 'encountered errors'. Tried updating several times throughout the morning and could not get the iPad2 to update. I came across your advice, packerman8, and did as you advised, replacing my dns information with 8.8.8.8, and voala! Updated started.

It took my 32gig wifi iPad2 about 20 minutes to update OTA.

THANK YOU!

Last edited:

PvtMatter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been trying to update to 5.1 my iPad and iPad 2 since March 7 and am still getting the "server cannot connect msg". I arranged a call to Apple tech service and they could offer no explanation except"......maybe try on Monday, Tuesday or later in the week since traffic is always heavier on the week-ends." Still trying (3 days after the release on two different WiFi networks and with cellular...still no update. Boy did Apple get caught on this one!) I have not experienced this problem with past iOS updates.

Last edited:

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have been trying to update to 5.1 my iPad and iPad 2 since March 7 and am still getting the "server cannot connect msg". I arranged a call to Apple tech service and they could offer no explanation except"......maybe try on Monday, Tuesday or later in the week since traffic is always heavier on the week-ends." Still trying (3 days after the release on two different WiFi networks and with cellular...still no update. Boy did Apple get caught on this one!)

Did you try changing your dns setting to 8.8.8.8 ?

packerman8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Everyone who has been having the problem has been resolved with changing DNS to 8.8.8.8, so I would maybe take it to an Apple Store and see if they can do the update for you manually.

maryhattie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
PvtMatter said:
I haven't seen a DNS selection option in iPad. Where would I change it?

Any luck? Im having to download it to my iPad from my sisters computer. I'm hoping it does the trick. The Apple tech guy and I tried everything else over the phone with no resolution to the problem.

Most reactions