What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I broke it. I am so sad. Please help me if you can...

joridodge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey all, I've been looking at this forum for a few days now, as well as searching Youtube, Google, and the internet in general trying desperately to figure out how to fix my iPad. This is my first iProduct...I'm a big fat noob and I'm failing hardcore.

I don't know what version it is - I bought it on Ebay brand new and it's a first generation with Wi-Fi. Now that it's stuck on the iTunes loading screen I have no idea how to find out what version it is. I've tried looking it up by the serial number but that didn't work. It's Model A1219, if that helps.

I don't know what firmware it's supposed to run - at this point, I've tried to restore it with all kinds of versions of firmware, which I now understand won't work if I don't have the blobs for it...which I don't. Nothing works.

I downloaded iFaith to see if I have blobs, and I don't. I jailbroke it about a month ago and didn't have ANY idea about any of the technicalities of it - saving blobs, any of that jazz - I just listened to my dumb friend, who kept saying "It's okay to jailbreak it. If it crashes, you just restore it and it wipes it clean." Well, now I can't fix it. Argh!!!

Any help anyone can give me would be MOST appreciated. If you think you can help, let me know what info you'd like and I'll give it to you as best I can!

I don't hold out much hope for actually fixing it - I've been working on it for two days now. But what I want to know is...will Apple know it's been jailbroken if I take it in the Genius bar and coldly turn me away? I think I'll cry....$450 down the drain, in that case. I bought it on Ebay about two months ago brand new, so I guess it's maybe under warranty, maybe...but I'm scared to take it in as it is. I want to wipe it first, but I keep getting errors! The most recent error is 3194, but I've had 1604, 28, and a bunch of others. I keep cross referencing and trying to fix it but it keeps failing.

Thank you, and hope your holiday is going better than mine. :)

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, deep breath. I'm pretty sure we can help you - at least to get the iPad1 running on iOS 5.0.1, which is the newest firmware. From there, you will be able to jailbreak it, but that's for another post. Let's get you going on it first...

(1) Make sure you have the newest version of iTunes. Get it from the Apple site if you don't have it.

(2) Go to this link about putting your iPad into DFU mode: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/27489-dfu-mode-dummies.html

Essentially, with iTunes OFF and the iPad plugged in, you'll be putting your iPad into DFU mode. Once it's in DFU mode, iTunes should detect it as a device "needing restore." Accept any/all prompts, then sit back while iTunes loads the new software on your iPad. If iTunes doesn't automatically open after you've put the iPad into DFU mode, go ahead and open iTunes. It should detect the iPad and start with the restore.

See if that does the trick. But remember, you must do exactly the steps outlined in the sticky I've linked. And, you must put iOS 5.0.1 onto the iPad, which is what iTunes will do. Just let it.

So, try that and do let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

OP
J

joridodge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Marilyn! Thank you SO MUCH for your help...unfortunately it did not work.

Here's what I did...

I un-installed and then re-installed the latest version of iTunes. (I've done this many times over the last few days but I wanted to make sure I did what you said to the letter, so I did!) Exited out of iTunes.
Hooked iPad to computer. Put the iPad into DFU mode - count of 10 seconds watching the clock, let go of power button, continued holding home button. Nothing on the screen, iTunes popped up saying detected an iPad in recovery mode. Followed prompts - clicked okay, then clicked Restore.

Everything seemed to be okay, but then on the third "Verifying with Apple" (while on the screen of the iPad there was the apple logo with an empty progress bar underneath) it gave me Error 28.

....Help?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, looking at Apple's website for this "error 28" reveals this:

Error 23, 28, 29: These errors may indicate a hardware issue with your device. Also attempt to restore while connected with the white USB Dock Connector cable that shipped with your device, on a known good computer and network to isolate this issue to the device. The MAC address being missing or the IMEI being the default value, (00 499901 064000 0), can also confirm a hardware issue. Out-of-date or incorrectly configured security software can also cause these errors.

It's that first sentence that worries me... But, here's some more things to try:

(1) Try the "...use the white USB..." cable idea and,

(2) Try disabling your anti-virus software before starting the DFU/restore process, and,

(3) It could be that you've completely confused your computer/USB ports. So, try connecting the iPad directly to a different USB port on your computer - and make sure it's directly into your computer, not a hub. Let your PC have time to detect the iPad, it may take time. Oh, and iTunes may pop up and say it's detected an iPad in restore. Don't let it do it (it's best to use the DFU method to restore an iPad that's been jail broken in the past...). Just close the prompt and then start the DFU/restore process yourself.

Try all three above during the same attempt and see what happens. If no success, then,

(4) Thinking about that virus software (and your 1604 error), maybe iTunes is having trouble getting the firmware from Apple's servers. So, go to this link here to get the iOS 5.0.1 software: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/24939-official-apple-ios-firmware-download-links-ipad.html

After you've downloaded it (remember where you put it - and don't unzip it!), put your iPad back into DFU mode. However, this time, when iTunes "detects" an iPad in restore mode, don't let it automatically start the restore process (as in, decline all prompts). You should then be at the main iTunes screen.

After you've sent away all prompts, hold the Shift key and click on the "Restore" button. You'll be offered a Windows Explorer pop-up so you can browse to where you've saved the firmware (it'll end in .IPSW). Hopefully, then iTunes will start on it and won't error out.

See if any of those help. Keep me posted...

OP
J

joridodge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No luck.

I did it all - disabled antivirus (and firewall), plugged computer directly into modem (not a wireless connection), used white cord, plugged white cord directly into a USB port in the back of the computer, took out all other USBs that were hooked in, have restarted, have updated Windows, have updated iTunes, tried the direct download of the .ipsw file and using shift-restore... Nothin'. Just Error 28, and then back to the iTunes screen on the iPad.

What do you think they'll say at the Genius bar?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No luck.

I did it all - disabled antivirus (and firewall), plugged computer directly into modem (not a wireless connection), used white cord, plugged white cord directly into a USB port in the back of the computer, took out all other USBs that were hooked in, have restarted, have updated Windows, have updated iTunes, tried the direct download of the .ipsw file and using shift-restore... Nothin'. Just Error 28, and then back to the iTunes screen on the iPad.

What do you think they'll say at the Genius bar?

Aw, man! Sorry, but I'm tapped out. Maybe someone else can think of something I forgot or missed...

As far as Apple is concerned ... what exactly shows on the iPad? Or, what prompted you to start this process? Do you have a blank screen? Does it even start or show the home screen? Was it acting funny? Essentially, what happens or what do you see when you try to turn it on? Cause, if it's flat out not working, or shows no evidence of a jail break, the Genius Bar may be your only option.

Again, sorry for your troubles. Guess it IS time to take it to the experts.

Marilyn

OP
J

joridodge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All that comes up is the connect to iTunes screen. If I power it off and then back on, it will briefly show the apple logo, and then go directly to the iTunes screen. There is simply no other response.

What happened was my 6 year old son was playing Scribblenauts on it, and I was unpacking in another room (we just moved into a new house) and he brought it to me and said "Mom, it's doing something funny." And.... the iTunes screen. I had recently downloaded a wireless remote app for our new TV...as in, 36 hours before, but other than that it had probably been three weeks since I downloaded anything new. It was jailbroken, but I only had Cydia, FullDrop, and DosBox on the iPad....it was "barely" jailbroken, if you know what I mean - I had done very little to it and everything was as legal as a jailbreak can be...I paid for all apps (except for the free ones, of course).

So I have no clue how it happened. At first I suspected my son of pressing some button combination that kicked it into recovery mode, but as I struggled with it more and more I began to think it was something else.

So, what do I tell them? "I dunno what happened, I just woke up and it was like this and I can't get it out"? Will they believe that? I get really paranoid about things like this!

Thanks for your help, especially on a holiday...I really appreciate it! :)

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
All that comes up is the connect to iTunes screen. If I power it off and then back on, it will briefly show the apple logo, and then go directly to the iTunes screen. There is simply no other response.

What happened was my 6 year old son was playing Scribblenauts on it, and I was unpacking in another room (we just moved into a new house) and he brought it to me and said "Mom, it's doing something funny." And.... the iTunes screen. ...[snip]

So, what do I tell them? "I dunno what happened, I just woke up and it was like this and I can't get it out"? Will they believe that? I get really paranoid about things like this!

Yep, that's exactly what you tell them, because that's what happened. Given all that you've tried, which is everything recommended by Apple for all the various codes you mentioned (I was just the channel - most of the suggestions came from Apple's support site - and walking others through the same troubles), I think you've got a hardware problem. Because, one of the suggestions should have worked (!). Darn it...

So, yeah, I recommend you take it to the Geniuses at an Apple Store (make an appointment, it'll be a quicker time to see someone). Tell them about what happened with your son and show them the results. Tell them you've tried restoring it (countless times!) to no avail. Mention the codes (28, 1604 and 3194) and what you tried to do to fix them (stock USB cable, different USB port, USB directly to PC, not a dock, different firmware version, uninstalled/reinstalled newest iTunes, etc.).

Finally, mention the last error you got, which is the #28 and it's talk of a bad hardware issue. In other words, whine really badly about how nothing you try works! :D Which is exactly what is happening.

Now, I don't know what they'll do. Hopefully, they can fix it. Or, maybe they'll have to send it off for repair. I don't know. But, I do know that, as far as I can tell, we can't do any more here at this forum. So, to hopefully save that from being an expensive paperweight, you'll need to take it in. Oh, and take your ebay receipt, to show when you got it. Hopefully, it's still under warranty.

Good luck and please, let us know what the Apple Store folk do/tell you.

Marilyn

OP
J

joridodge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for all your help. I sure will do everything you've suggested, and I'll let you know how it turns out!

scott_R1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Log into your Apple ID on line and enter the serial number on the back of your iPad. My ipad1 took a crap and it turned out I has 30 days left under warranty. I got a new one and I'm happy :)

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Next time I recommend not jailbreaking iDevices if you have no idea what it is. Although the iPad community is happy to help.

Sent from my interestingCompanionPad

OP
J

joridodge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks biobunny - Yeah, I realize that NOW. I had a friend who swore to me up and down it was no big deal and very easy - and yes, I was stupid to listen to him, and I don't think I'll be jailbreaking again, and I do appreciate all of the help I've received here.

And thanks scott_R1. I'll do that.

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ah, but in the defense of jail breaking ... if this turns out to be a hardware issue, it has nothing to do with the jail breaking. Nor does the fact that you can't get it to restore to stock iOS have anything to do with jail breaking.

Since you've run through all the steps to try to restore it - and tried f4780y's fail safe methods, I'm pretty sure it's hardware. And, again it's not the jail break, then, it's just coincidence.

Jail breaking is fine. It's broke hardware that is a problem.

Marilyn

yellowhorse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you go to YouTube and search or look up jailbreak issues the same thing happens to some iPhones and iPod's on the hang screen. Hopefully you saved a backup of the orig config but of you didnt there's a push button sequence I don't know off the top of my head that gets u around it.

Most reactions

Latest posts