I bought the Pages program

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by jah60, Feb 27, 2011.

1. jah60

jah60 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Where is the best place the get training, video training or tutorials..???
    Jeff
  2. MattIM

MattIM Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +53 / 0
    Hello Jeff, welcome to the forum. The first thing I would do when starting Pages for the first time is to review the "getting started" document. This will give about as much information you'll need to get started.

When you create your first document, you might want to use the various templates as they contain most of the popular formats you can use. I'm writing the great American novel so I choose the Term Paper. I do not know why, but I did and I'm having great fun typing stuff in my document.

Over time, I have learned that many apps on the iPad are so easy to use they do not come with instructions.
  3. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
  4. MattIM

MattIM Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +53 / 0
    VERY helpful link Tim. Thank you for adding to the conversation. I always learn something on this forum.
  5. Bob Maxey

Bob Maxey iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +80 / 0
    I use Pages and I am not a huge fan of the way Pages thinks. I rely upon Word and very few of the things I do in Word can be done in Pages. For example, you cannot easily create templates that behave like templates. You can create documents that can be changed, but they are not templates.

You cannot "save as . . ." and specify a location for the file or create a new folder. Pages becomes more useful if you jailbreak, however. For example, you can store and access documents stored on a MicroSD card and some flash drives using iFile.

The lack of native printing to my brand new ink-jet printer pisses me off, but there are app store programs that can help you.

To be fair, I have found Pages to be quite capable for what I do and I love it more every time I use it. Not ideal, but workable. All I really need is to be able to create documents and save them as Word or .txt files. I also find the lack of features (compared to Word) to be an oddly good thing.

If you are a Word user, stop thinking like Word and learn Pages. I do not think you need tutorials, however. About all you need is to start asking questions on forums, read the getting started page, and start exploring. The limited feature set is easy to understand; it is a very basic and simple program.

Pages is what it is; a workable word processor for working writers or a severely limited attempt at a WP for the iPad, for people that want lots of features.

Bob