What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I bought a second hand ipad4, it keeps asking for iCloud password for old user!

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is not intended to hinder to purchase after market iPads iPhones and iPod touch devices and now new Macs with latest Os it is about security to protect those users whom have devices stolen. Buyer beware when buying through Craig list eBay or second hand in newspapers why because you donot know if the device you are buying is stolen or a genuine item that some one intends to sell. The rule of thumb is only buy from organisations where you have protection which I believe eBay is one of them. In other words what looks a great deal can be a disaster and at the end of the day it is not worth the hassle.

macintush2013

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Question then on the iPad that is locked. If it were under Apple Care warranty and it died would the replacement be locked as well?

gedansky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Question then on the iPad that is locked. If it were under Apple Care warranty and it died would the replacement be locked as well?

Would I be correct in guessing no, as long as they don't somehow attach the new ipad to the other persons account? And starting up with a fresh Apple ID might not be a bad idea.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ah. I tend to think it's as much to hinder the public's ability to purchase aftermarket IPads and iPhones as it is to protect the owners. But, I suppose it's no worse than having to make sure the ESN, HEX, or DEC number on any phone is clean before you buy it.

Personally, I MIGHT buy a late model on sale somewhere, I would definitely buy refurbed from Apple to save a few bucks, but I will never buy used from a third party.

Best of luck to the OP in his quest. It may be the best option to trade in to Best Buy for $325 and get a new one.

You can buy used from a third party safely as long as you make sure the find my iphone if off and user ID has been wiped. You simply have to hold it in hand and check or ask the seller ahead of time and get them to agree on the state of the sell being conditioned upon this being so. If they cannot do so THEN definitely do not buy. If they act like they have no clue than don't buy. It's not that hard, but some people don't need to be selling iDevices if they don't understand this stuff. If you sell a device to Gazelle or some place that like they have explicit instructions for those running on iOS7, just because of the new security.

lindaliee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think you have to turn to help from the iPad old user. Good luck to you!

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Best of luck to the OP in his quest. It may be the best option to trade in to Best Buy for $325 and get a new one.

Please don't do this knowing the iPad is non-functional. That would be deceptive and make you no better than the original seller and it would be stealing from Best Buy.

Most reactions

Latest posts