What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I am paranoid ! about losing Apps I've downloaded w/iPad

bigmutt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Everywhere you see help & instructions on Syncing but it's always about getting material FROM iTunes to your iPad or iPod or iPhone.

Does anyone have instructions on transfering purchases FROM iPAD TO iTUNES?

I have so many downloads (purchases and free apps) on my iPad and my iPhone 4 but when I connect them to my iTunes computer it says it's going to erase everything on the iPad except for what's already on iTunes.

I want exactly the opposite: to have everything that's now on my iPad/iPhone equipment to be on iTunes, and nothing else.

I'm still on OS 3 with the iPad and on OS 4.0 on the iPhone and I dare not upgrade until I get these syncing issues resolved.

(why am I "paranoid" ?? Because in the past I've lost a lot of $$$ on purchased songs, videos, apps from trying to "sync")
In fact, to avoid this, I've mostly stopped buying ANY music via iTunes, and just buy the whole CD from Amazon; that way they definitely aren't going to just disappear into thin air.

Thanks.

ipfuser653

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm using iOS 4.2.1 as that is what came with my iPad, so I'm not sure about iOS 3.X, but I can say that all the apps I've bought on the iPad have automatically synced to iTunes the next time I've connected the ipad to my computer.

Hope this helps,
Gleth

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Everywhere you see help & instructions on Syncing but it's always about getting material FROM iTunes to your iPad or iPod or iPhone.

Does anyone have instructions on transfering purchases FROM iPAD TO iTUNES?

I have so many downloads (purchases and free apps) on my iPad and my iPhone 4 but when I connect them to my iTunes computer it says it's going to erase everything on the iPad except for what's already on iTunes.

I want exactly the opposite: to have everything that's now on my iPad/iPhone equipment to be on iTunes, and nothing else.

I'm still on OS 3 with the iPad and on OS 4.0 on the iPhone and I dare not upgrade until I get these syncing issues resolved.

(why am I "paranoid" ?? Because in the past I've lost a lot of $$$ on purchased songs, videos, apps from trying to "sync")
In fact, to avoid this, I've mostly stopped buying ANY music via iTunes, and just buy the whole CD from Amazon; that way they definitely aren't going to just disappear into thin air.

Thanks.

No wander getting away from iTunes is called JailBraek. Since iTune and Sync are some kind of Jail we have to visit from time to time.
I don't sync any thing except Application. It seems to be the only SYNC that works properly on both ends.
Most of my Application I install directly on my iPAD. From time to time I sync it with iTunes, and it'll move (COPY) all the new Applications from my iPAD into iTune.\Never lost anything. It is 100% safe.
Books, songs movies I cpy through iTunes, nut never Sync. for Photos use a 3rd party application. Many of them are out in iStore.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
With your iPad plugged in, got to the Files menu in iTunes and choose Transfer Filed from "your device". When it finishes take a good look through your iTunes library and make sure that everything you want is there.

When you upgrade, it should back up your device automatically. But if you want to be sure right click on your device in the left column and choose Back Up. Now, if anything goes wrong you should be able to restore the and try again.

Warning, set aside some serious time for the back up if you've got lots of stuff on your iPad. It may not take forever, and it may. Hard to tell what iTunes will decide needs backed up, and I've never forced one manually.

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
when you connect your ipad to itunes you can go to "file" and "transfer purchases" to save your app purchases to your itunes library on the computer. You can also simply redownload any app bought or free and not be charged again (even though it appears you are purchasing you'll get a popup as soon as it starts downloading saying you already own it and do you want to redownload). As for video and music I do as peeled says.. just use the drag and drop method. If you set up your itunes to not sync your music and videos the loaded products will not be wiped out.

Most reactions

Latest posts