What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I am not convinced of 10 hour battery life

ipad987

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It seems to be more like 7 hours. How are you guys getting 10 hours from a full charge? I have the brightness level at around 75% and the WiFi always on.

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I get 10 hours or better, with brightness set to Auto and WiFi and 3G switched on.

Have you let your battery run completely down recently, as recommended by Apple, in order to let the battery 'meter' re-calibrate itself? Has you battery life always been this 'bad'?

Are you on iOS5?

Tim

OP
I

ipad987

iPF Novice
Reaction score
But does that 10 hour include video?

I am not. I am using the original 4.3.5 that was installed.

I recently upgraded my nephew's iPad 1 which uses my Apple ID, and to be honest, it has made the iPad a little slower. There is a slight delay before starting every app, web page, video. The delay is brief, but has made using it less enjoyable.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, that's because it's so sunny in California that you need it set to 100% to be able to see the screen. In Scotland you could probably get away with 1%......:)

Tim

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No. I never watch videos. Interesting question though! I bet one would not get a straight 10 hours, just watching video. Seems there was a member that watched 7 hours straight, or was it 3, non stop video.

I really have no clue! lol!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't watch videos on my iPad, so I can't comment on that. I'm generally using it for writing reports, preparing presentations and spreadsheets ----- and ----- moderating iPF!!

Tim

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
I get 10 hours and my brightness is set at 100%, always.

Wow, isn't 100 percent brightness a little much? Either way, ten hours does seem to be a bit of a reach but it's not like Apple is the only one to quote best case scenario battery numbers. Ive never really analyzed my battery performance but I find that it slowly creeps down and always seems to have juice when I need it so that's good enough for me.

Haven't some of the review sites done some scientific tests and gotten close to ten hours or so?

OP
I

ipad987

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes I thought so. I watch films sometimes and when I do I seem to not get 10 hours. I would say more like 7 hours or less. However, I think just browsing or/and work on Pages and Wordpress (as I do) would get 10 hours out of it.

100% brightness is too high for my liking. It can start hurting the eyes a little at those settings.

By the way, do you recommend I update to latest OS?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep, I get the full 10hrs too. I only normally watch films when streaming from my iPad to my Apple TV and it doesn't seem to affect longevity at all.

The Archangel

Czevski

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The new battery sense app shows that your battery time varies according to what you are doing. Reading gives you the most time and game playing the least.

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipad987 said:
It seems to be more like 7 hours. How are you guys getting 10 hours from a full charge? I have the brightness level at around 75% and the WiFi always on.

I don't know, honestly, because if I put the brightness over 33%, it drains like crazy.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
Yep, I get the full 10hrs too. I only normally watch films when streaming from my iPad to my Apple TV and it doesn't seem to affect longevity at all.

The Archangel

Just to add I run at 50% brightness and 50% volume.

The Archangel

Most reactions