I am not convinced of 10 hour battery life

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by ipad987, Nov 14, 2011.

1. ipad987

ipad987 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    It seems to be more like 7 hours. How are you guys getting 10 hours from a full charge? I have the brightness level at around 75% and the WiFi always on.
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  2. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    I get 10 hours or better, with brightness set to Auto and WiFi and 3G switched on.

Have you let your battery run completely down recently, as recommended by Apple, in order to let the battery 'meter' re-calibrate itself? Has you battery life always been this 'bad'?

Are you on iOS5?

Tim
  3. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +134 / 0
    I get 10 hours and my brightness is set at 100%, always.
  4. ipad987

ipad987 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    But does that 10 hour include video?

I am not. I am using the original 4.3.5 that was installed.

I recently upgraded my nephew's iPad 1 which uses my Apple ID, and to be honest, it has made the iPad a little slower. There is a slight delay before starting every app, web page, video. The delay is brief, but has made using it less enjoyable.
  5. Tim SPRACKLEN

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    Well, that's because it's so sunny in California that you need it set to 100% to be able to see the screen. In Scotland you could probably get away with 1%......:)

Tim
  6. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +134 / 0
    No. I never watch videos. Interesting question though! I bet one would not get a straight 10 hours, just watching video. Seems there was a member that watched 7 hours straight, or was it 3, non stop video.

I really have no clue! lol!
  7. Tim SPRACKLEN

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    I don't watch videos on my iPad, so I can't comment on that. I'm generally using it for writing reports, preparing presentations and spreadsheets ----- and ----- moderating iPF!!

Tim
  8. s2mikey

s2mikey iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +131 / 0
    Wow, isn't 100 percent brightness a little much? Either way, ten hours does seem to be a bit of a reach but it's not like Apple is the only one to quote best case scenario battery numbers. Ive never really analyzed my battery performance but I find that it slowly creeps down and always seems to have juice when I need it so that's good enough for me.

Haven't some of the review sites done some scientific tests and gotten close to ten hours or so?
  9. ipad987

ipad987 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Yes I thought so. I watch films sometimes and when I do I seem to not get 10 hours. I would say more like 7 hours or less. However, I think just browsing or/and work on Pages and Wordpress (as I do) would get 10 hours out of it.

100% brightness is too high for my liking. It can start hurting the eyes a little at those settings.

By the way, do you recommend I update to latest OS?
  10. bitlikafa

bitlikafa iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Apple says u can watch video 7 hours not 10. You can surf web over wifi about 10 hours
  11. Gabriel1

Gabriel1 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +747 / 0
    Yep, I get the full 10hrs too. I only normally watch films when streaming from my iPad to my Apple TV and it doesn't seem to affect longevity at all.

The Archangel
  12. Czevski

Czevski iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +294 / 0
    The new battery sense app shows that your battery time varies according to what you are doing. Reading gives you the most time and game playing the least.
  13. GoPackGo

GoPackGo iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0
    I don't know, honestly, because if I put the brightness over 33%, it drains like crazy.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF
  14. Parrori1

Parrori1 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I get 10 hours with brightness on about 60% .
  15. Gabriel1

Gabriel1 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +747 / 0
    Just to add I run at 50% brightness and 50% volume.

The Archangel
  16. jsh1120

jsh1120 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0
    Just a note about threads like this. It's almost impossible to get useful information from others simply by asking "how long the battery lasts." As the thread, itself, suggests there are simply too many variables involved. The OP didn't mention watching videos, probably the most significant battery draining activity possible on the iPad.

If you're truly concerned about your battery use, you have some work ahead of you. You'll need to keep track of the effect of screen brightness, notifications, use of 3G or wifi, apps used, video and audio use, etc. And do it repeatedly over a period of a few days for each and every variable. That is virtually the only way to determine whether you're using an abnormal amount of battery charge and to what it can be attributed. Of course, no one wants to go through this sort of testing regimen. But short of it, there is almost no way to get a good answer to battery use issues.
  17. Diane B

Diane B iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36 / 0
    I would be hard pressed to state how many hours I get per charge. I have an Ipad 1/64 GB wifi only from May 2010 and its used a LOT every day. I would have to keep up with hours and I never have but I get many hours from it (I would thnk 10 hours mostly), using it some for working on photos in various apps like Snapseed, Filterstorm and Photoforge, watching Vimeo, Youtube some, Netflix when I ride my recumbant bike, read a LOT, read forums, work on PDFs and docs, so my use is very mixed---and I carry it always. I've been very very happy with battery life. I keep my backlight at about 50% or so except at night reading in bed where I switch to night mode and lower the backlight even more. I do bring it up high for reading at the pool since I live in North Carolina but I haven't seen any big hit from that. I do charge every day, occasionally run it completely down and recharge as directed.
  18. Munky

Munky iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    When at home, I generally get pretty darn close to 10 hours, sometimes more. Brightness is turned all the way down usually when inside, wifi is always on and data/3G is always off at home, as well as location services always off until needed. I've had my iPad since about August of 2010 and have not had any degradation of battery life at all.