What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I am needing more space for my 16gb iPad 2 Suggestions?

quake5254

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's really worth having the GoFlex Satellite 500GB hard drive by Seagate. That's an additional 500GB to your 16GB iPad. Connects via wifi.

crashnburn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's really worth having the GoFlex Satellite 500GB hard drive by Seagate. That's an additional 500GB to your 16GB iPad. Connects via wifi.

I'd prefer an External Enclosure that provided similar features and allowed us to put in our own HDDs increase or decrease size as required.

quake5254

iPF Noob
Reaction score
crashnburn said:
I'd prefer an External Enclosure that provided similar features and allowed us to put in our own HDDs increase or decrease size as required.

A friend of mine showed and uses something like that. He uses an app? or pays for annual usage where he connects his HDD to the router. Can't remember exactly but I'll ask him. I know the HDDs can be replaced as required.

youngun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didn't even know you could get an external hard drive that works with the ipad

ssarmazi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought a GoFlex Satellite about a month ago - very useful. But if you do buy it, make sure you get the latest firmware from the Seagate website. I read a lot about people really struggling with it before that firmware.

cellur111

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jsh1120 said:
You have 9GB left on a 16GB iPad and you don't plan to use it for music or movies. Are you planning to put 20,000 apps on your iPad? My suggestion is to relax.

Um on my iPad there are 10 apps I have that are 1 gb and above..all together they take take 13.5 gb out of my iPad..I would worry
Not to mention my ipad is 64gb with 15 gb left..I might need more space soon

9 gb is hardly any space..for me anyway

Last edited:

cellur111

iPF Noob
Reaction score
cellur111 said:
Um on my iPad there are 10 apps I have that are 1 gb and above..all together they take take 13.5 gb out of my iPad..I would worry

9gb is hardly any space..for me anyway

jdpurvis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
cellur111 said:

9 gb is hardly any space..for me anyway

Take a look at the apps that are taking large amounts of space. I suspect that some of the space is being occupied by data for the app. For example, the app AZUL (a video playr) is occupying about 1.3 GB on my IPAD. But I know that I loaded some non-Apple player compatible videos on the IPAD. They show as space occupied by the app, when It is the data occupying the space.

You can move all kinds of data to the GoFlex, but I don't think you can run apps from there. I agree that 16 gb can be small space. It is a pain that Steve J didn't want anyone to upgrade memory, but that's the way it is.

Joe

Forrunner

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With music use this trick

I use spotify for my music and I only pay like ten dollars a month and I have over two thousand songs and have used under five gbs of space

garath44

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi I bought an Airstash which connects using wireless it takes 32gb sd cards which you can change, keep photos on one music on another or anything else. It charges through your pc and you can drag and drop and transfer data to and from your iPad. It is compatible with a number of apps. The only down side is the price, but it works well. I also believe you can no buy Hyperdrive for iPad which is just like a USB, so you can store data and transfer. But again not cheap.

jdpurvis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Of course, costs are relevant for most of us. Air stash is $120 plus cost of SD cards (max storage 32 GB. Goflex Satellite about $200 for 500 GB, and Airstash $250 for 500 GB. All are local options with their own pluses and minuses. Effectively, you are creating your own local cloud. You can also use a home wireless network this way. All will support streaming rates consistent with HD (1018p) video and lossless files (ALAC or FLAC audio). All are entirely under your control, and you do not have to worry about privacy or content.

Moving to someone else's cloud (Apple, Amazon,....) gives you more location flexibility at the potential price of privacy and control. HD files face Space and streaming rate limitations as well as cost limitations when traveling. Note that data rates over cellular connections for roaming from US can be on the order of $20 per megabyte.

Given that Apple has decided for us that we don't need more than 64 GB internally, it would have been nice if they had made it easier to connect external storage.

At least there are some workarounds...

Don't hold your breath waiting for a change.

J

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What Apple should come up with is a flash drive that can be connected to the iPad's connector port. Make the drive's 16,32 and 64 gig basically doubling your HD space.

Most reactions

Latest posts