Hypertext in Safari

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Jonootz, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Jonootz

Jonootz iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Why is it that sometimes when you click on text sometimes it comes right up as a web page and other times it gives you an option box i.e. "Open" or "Open in new tab" etc?
  2. giradman

giradman iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +831 / 0
    Hello Jonootz - welcome to the forum! :)

Simply relates to the commands used in the HTML (Hypertext Markup Language) for 'hyperlinks'; depending on the command(s) used the link may take you directly to another website or another area w/i the same site; sometimes opening a 'new tab' may be preferred to keep the other opened. For more information, look at these descriptions on HTML Links HERE - enjoy!
  3. graywolf

graywolf iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0
    Sorry giradman, I have been a long time HTML fan and coder and what the OP is talking about is purely iOS. :)
    Actually it depends on how long you tap on the link. If you press and hold your finger on a link, then that little menu will pop up to open the link, open in a new tab, or add to reading list. It has nothing to do with HTML.
  4. giradman

giradman iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +831 / 0
    Well, thanks Graywolf for the clarification - I do very little HTML coding but have dabbled on & off, so felt it could be coded a number of ways - apologies from me to the original poster - hope the above comments help. :)