1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Hypertext in Safari

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Jonootz, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Jonootz

Jonootz iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Why is it that sometimes when you click on text sometimes it comes right up as a web page and other times it gives you an option box i.e. "Open" or "Open in new tab" etc?
  2. giradman

giradman iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +770 / 0
    Hello Jonootz - welcome to the forum! :)

Simply relates to the commands used in the HTML (Hypertext Markup Language) for 'hyperlinks'; depending on the command(s) used the link may take you directly to another website or another area w/i the same site; sometimes opening a 'new tab' may be preferred to keep the other opened. For more information, look at these descriptions on HTML Links HERE - enjoy!
  3. graywolf

graywolf iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0
    Sorry giradman, I have been a long time HTML fan and coder and what the OP is talking about is purely iOS. :)
    Actually it depends on how long you tap on the link. If you press and hold your finger on a link, then that little menu will pop up to open the link, open in a new tab, or add to reading list. It has nothing to do with HTML.
  4. giradman

giradman iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +770 / 0
    Well, thanks Graywolf for the clarification - I do very little HTML coding but have dabbled on & off, so felt it could be coded a number of ways - apologies from me to the original poster - hope the above comments help. :)