What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hurricane Sandy

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
giradman said:
Good luck! Wife just called my BIL in Montauk, LI - they still have power; he has 2 boats in Montauk Lake which could be gone by the morning? Who knows?

The surge in LI sound is getting above 10' - might really damage the historic Montauk restaurant that I posted before - I'm quite SAD @ the moment - I've been enjoying lobsters there since 1973 (the year our son was born!) - sorry, but this is becoming emotional for me - Dave

Awww! I'm sorry to hear about that, giradman.

I'm getting curious about what's going on with the storm. The cable TV service is out, so I'll try the Internet.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good luck! Wife just called my BIL in Montauk, LI - they still have power; he has 2 boats in Montauk Lake which could be gone by the morning? Who knows?

The surge in LI sound is getting above 10' - might really damage the historic Montauk restaurant that I posted before - I'm quite SAD @ the moment - I've been enjoying lobsters there since 1973 (the year our son was born!) - sorry, but this is becoming emotional for me - Dave

Hey Dave...not to see you back. You, also be safe. The winds and rain have picked up to about 45 mph here. We have 35 foot waves reported on Lake Huron. At 8:30 am, it looked like evening outside.

Definitely going to be a doozy for all involved. Stay safe everybody!!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looking out the window, wondering whether I've p***** off any trees this year that might want to settle a score by falling over and squashing me like a bug. Probably not. But if so, it won't hurt to have another drink, lol. Bottoms up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bennettb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind thoughts. I am, fortunately, miles from the shore so that my only worries are the wind and trees and no electricity. I hope there is less damage to the coast than they are predicting and that injury and loss of life doesn't happen.

Bobbi

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Levee break in Moonachie New Jersey. Rescue operation occurring.

Sent from my new iPad using iPF

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some downed trees at our place and the generator kicked in overnight. Working at home indefinitely till roadways cleared. Cozy at home.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hey Dave...not to see you back. You, also be safe. The winds and rain have picked up to about 45 mph here. We have 35 foot waves reported on Lake Huron. At 8:30 am, it looked like evening outside.

Definitely going to be a doozy for all involved. Stay safe everybody!!

Hi Carol - yep, I've been busy w/ house renovations & woodworking projects - need a break! :D

I've been watching the weather station and have seen the forecasts & images from the Great Lakes area - BOY, what a storm! And the tremendous snows in the eastern mountains - none here for us in the Piedmont but just a couple of hours west of us. Dave

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Carol - yep, I've been busy w/ house renovations & woodworking projects - need a break! :D

I've been watching the weather station and have seen the forecasts & images from the Great Lakes area - BOY, what a storm! And the tremendous snows in the eastern mountains - none here for us in the Piedmont but just a couple of hours west of us. Dave

Well nice to see you back, Dave. Was wondering where you were!

The weather here now is just really windy and rainy. Have lost power about 5 times in the last 3 hours. Everything is on the fritz right now...and we are here in Michigan...can imagine being the east coast states.

Take care of yourself! :)

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you for your concern. My husband and I are fine.

On Monday night, after two brown outs, the electricity went out and then in the distance the night sky turned a bright fluorescent green indicating a transformer malfunction.

For the next five to seven minutes or so there were lava-like eruptions of lavender, blue, green and white arcs of light. At times, the compromised section right above the sky was illuminated as brightly as if lit by stadium lights. Then there was a final dramatic burst of green light and blue or lavender light and the electric power station went completely dark.

My 3G iPad became our only link to the outside world and my husband and I periodically checked the Weather Channel online for updates about the storm for the next hour or so before going to bed.

The power was restored by 8:30am.

I have a third day of off from work because school has been cancelled until subway service has been restored.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Time to enjoy your iPad. Does your partner also have the day off.

Sent from my fantastically, wonderful iPhone using iPF

OP
Pinkpoison

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
seeing the footage of the terrible devastation Sandy has left behind,homes destroyed,how very sorry i am for those poor people.

Asharp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It is quite true that some people's lives have been permanently altered by this experience. Some of the news reports have been heartbreaking.

I'm concerned about my students. Many people still have no power within NYC and I've only had email contact with less than 10% of my students, so I don't know how they're doing personally. Since I teach mostly developmental courses, I'm also concerned for them academically. The loss of even one day of school is a setback and students in three of my five classes have now missed a week.

Today is the first day back at work and the aftereffects for those not seriously affected, like me, are still quite noticeable: I teach an 8:30am class on Thursdays, but the building didn't open until 20 minutes before the class was scheduled to end. It's just as well that none of my morning students showed up.

I'll just wait and see how many attend my afternoon class and keep busy preparing for next week's classes in the meantime.

Most reactions

Latest posts