What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hulu plus app

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
freebirdforever said:

Then why don't everyone that's complaining about hulu plus jus do that? What's a good remote desktop app and how hard is it to set up?

The best one I have found for streaming audio + video is Splashtop (GentleFury's discovery, not mine). As far as setup goes, it is almost trivial. You install the app on your iPad and also install a service on either your Windows or OS X machine. As long as the service is running and your PC is awake, the Splashtop app will see your computer and you will be able to connect to it.

You might find yourself using remote desktop for more than just watching video. I actually surf the web that way more times than not now as my PC is MUCH faster at browsing the web than my iPad is, and I can also view other Flash enabled websites that way. It is money well spent.

One thing to note is depending on what kind of upload speed your ISP provides you, this may only be a viable solution while you are at home on your WiFi network. If you have slow upload speeds this won't do you much good away from home.

I use it everyday!

SheerLuckHolmes

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This may be off topic, however, I've been wanting to cut out cable also. The only channels I watch are the Discovery channel, The Sceince channel and TLC.

I haven't seen where I can replace these with any source other than cable. Can anyone direct me? I'd love to be able to get the Apple TV box and stream through my iPad.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This may be off topic, however, I've been wanting to cut out cable also. The only channels I watch are the Discovery channel, The Sceince channel and TLC.

I haven't seen where I can replace these with any source other than cable. Can anyone direct me? I'd love to be able to get the Apple TV box and stream through my iPad.

Sadly I still have cable because the only channels we watch is Discovery, Science, Food, Showtime, and HBO.....otherwise I would switch it off too!! Really no good way to get any of that content.

Hulu is great for network shows tho. I have a Mac Mini in the living room that lets me watch anything off Hulu....pretty awesome....the only thing that sucks is that it uses Flash and not H.264....really hoping they release a Hulu App in the App store that works like the iPad Hulu...much better picture quality and no stuttery flash BS.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Sadly I still have cable because the only channels we watch is Discovery, Science, Food, Showtime, and HBO.....otherwise I would switch it off too!! Really no good way to get any of that content.

Hulu is great for network shows tho. I have a Mac Mini in the living room that lets me watch anything off Hulu....pretty awesome....the only thing that sucks is that it uses Flash and not H.264....really hoping they release a Hulu App in the App store that works like the iPad Hulu...much better picture quality and no stuttery flash BS.

lol... if Hulu is stuttering on your Mac Mini that just convinced me to not get one. I watch Hulu on my dual core netbook all the time ($229) and it is smooth as butter. (sorry .. couldn't resist)

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score

lol... if Hulu is stuttering on your Mac Mini that just convinced me to not get one. I watch Hulu on my dual core netbook all the time ($229) and it is smooth as butter. (sorry .. couldn't resist)

It only stutters when you use Flash 10.1 because assholes that adobe is has not implemented support for its graphics.....downgrading to the last version before 10.1 makes for smooth playback...but I still hate flash. Yesterday ads were just freezing during playback on my 8-core mac pro!! Content was smooth but 30 second ads took a minute since I had to wait for them to wake up as they played.

OP
accordlayingkit

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
gentlefury said:
I use it everyday!

I guess the paid version ($4.99) is the way to go huh? This may be a dumb question but no one can be on your laptop when using this from your iPad correct! Lol

OP
accordlayingkit

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
gentlefury said:
I use it everyday!

How do u keep your laptop awake? Like not going to the black screen after the screen saver has already done it's thing

OP
accordlayingkit

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
gentlefury said:
I don't have a laptop I have mac pro. It wakes up when you log in. It can still be used while being controlled.

Wow splash top at one point was $19.99! They sure have dropped it a lot......help me understand this real quick as I may be off topic sorry...but if u watch hulu from your desktop through splash top is the speed coming from your home router/modem or your iPad wifi/3G signal!

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
The speed of a Remote connection is ALWAYS the slowest.

Some 3G speeds are faster than the upstream of broadband providers. This is to keep people from running efficient servers/services on cheap connections without upgrading to a business account.

In most cases, the 3G will be the limiting factor. However, with Splashtop, it really does work well over 3G, provided signal strength is good.

OP
accordlayingkit

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
deckyon said:
The speed of a Remote connection is ALWAYS the slowest.

Some 3G speeds are faster than the upstream of broadband providers. This is to keep people from running efficient servers/services on cheap connections without upgrading to a business account.

In most cases, the 3G will be the limiting factor. However, with Splashtop, it really does work well over 3G, provided signal strength is good.

Ok thanks for explaining that for me

OP
accordlayingkit

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
gentlefury said:
I don't have a laptop I have mac pro. It wakes up when you log in. It can still be used while being controlled.

Hey im about to buy splashtop....I don't have a desktop only 2 laptops..does it matter which laptop I put splashtop software on?

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
gentlefury said:

Hey im about to buy splashtop....I don't have a desktop only 2 laptops..does it matter which laptop I put splashtop software on?

You can put it on either one or both if you prefer. The desktop software is free of charge, you only have to pay for the iPad application.

Most reactions

Latest posts