What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HTTPS Site gives warning that it is not secure and asks if I still want to submit, in Safari

caq

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was on a site and a message popped up that the site was insecure and asked if I wanted to continue. I am using Safari on an iPad Air with up-to-date iOS. I don't think my device is pertinant in this case, but figured I would save that question.

I googled and found that this message pops up with http sites. So I went back and checked and it is HTTPS.

Is this site safe? One suggestion when I googled said to edit the web address and add the "S", but it is already there. If you can just add the "S" how does that make a site with it more secure than one without the "S"?

It is for in the hoop embroidery design projects. A friend said she has purchased from them and loves them. But, yhis friend is not too worried about security, either.

Thanks for any information.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I was on a site and a message popped up that the site was insecure and asked if I wanted to continue. I am using Safari on an iPad Air with up-to-date iOS. I don't think my device is pertinant in this case, but figured I would save that question.

I googled and found that this message pops up with http sites. So I went back and checked and it is HTTPS.

Is this site safe? One suggestion when I googled said to edit the web address and add the "S", but it is already there. If you can just add the "S" how does that make a site with it more secure than one without the "S"?

It is for in the hoop embroidery design projects. A friend said she has purchased from them and loves them. But, yhis friend is not too worried about security, either.........

Hello - the standard communication protocol of the web is HTTP = Hypertext Transfer Protocol; the addition of the 'S' is for security transactions, e.g. in making website orders using credit cards etc., i.e. you will want the HTTPS in those situations (see description below - Source). Now I'm not sure if your are just browsing the site or making a purchase, in which the site should switch to its HTTPS designation - let me stop there to see if this is of help; if not, please post back. Dave :)

HTTPS (also called HTTP over Transport Layer Security (TLS),[1] HTTP over SSL,[2] and HTTP Secure[3][4]) is a communications protocol for secure communicationover a computer network which is widely used on the Internet. HTTPS consists of communication over Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) within a connection encrypted by Transport Layer Security, or its predecessor, Secure Sockets Layer. The main motivation for HTTPS is authentication of the visited website and protection of the privacy and integrity of the exchanged data.

OP
C

caq

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The site address is HTTPS. On their site home page, it does have HTTPS. That is before you get to any account information requests, or purchasing. You are not even in their "Shopping" section. But it is HTTPS. It is a site that sells embroidery designs and project patterns using those designs. That message popped up after I entered my name and email address, created a weird password to create an account, and touched to continue. That message box popped up about it being insecure and asked if I wanted to submit anyway. I then selected not submit.

Well, a little while later I received an email from them welcoming me to their company or whatever. I never completed the account creating process because I cancelled out. Yes, it was from that company and not a middle man that hacked that information.

Yesterday I went on and tried logging in with the email address and password, and I was able to. So, even though I selexted not to submit, my account was created. It does not have any financial info, just an email address and weird password. That is as far as I got.

I used their contact us and asked my account be removed and I explained why, the pop-up box message and all. I did not get that message when I selected to submit my contact us message.

I am pretty sure it is an ok site. It gets a lot of machine embroidery enthusiasts. I asked quite a few people if they had any issues with spam or credit charges after ordering from them, without telling them why because I am not out to do harm to the company. Nobody has had issues.

I am disappointed that I cannot use this site because of trust in their security concerns.

Most reactions

Latest posts