What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HP Laserjet P1102W not seeing wireless

OP
M

miguels

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim,

In the past I have entered the wep key to get the ipad and mac working on the wifi.
How can I enter that key for the printer, it does not have any input panel or any way of entering keys, ip addresses etc.
I had thought of assigning a static IQP address but I cant enter anything in for the printer

Michael

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There is a setup program that let's you configure the HP for wireless access. You do this with the printer connected to a wired network then switch it to wireless once it's configured.

See the HP website for specific instructions.

-t

OP
M

miguels

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have looked at the HP install guide which does not seem to apply to this printer.
I cannot connect it direct from an ethernet port, I cant use the HP Auto Wireless setup because my printer does not have a Control Panel to allow me to reset to the defaults or let me enter wireless information.

Dont know where I go from here unless someone on this forum has set up this particular printer to wifi.

Michael

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But you could connect it via a USB port and configure it that way. It will work the same as via an Ethernet port.

Tim

OP
M

miguels

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim,

Searching the internet I found this set up that looked promising.

In step five, click HTML config, all I get are two errors, error on line 6 and error on line 12
Are these errors due to me running Lion 10.7?

Michael

In Finder , click Applications , and then double-click System Preferences .
Click Print & Fax .
Click Open Print Queue , and then click Printer Setup .
Click the Utility tab, and then click Open Printer Utility .
Click HTMLConfig .
Click the Networking tab, and then click Wireless from the list on the left.
Under Communication Mode , click Infrastructure , select your network SSID from the Available Network Names (SSID) list, and then click the << button.
From the Security Mode pop-up menu under Authentication , click WEP or WPA/WPA2 . Your selection depends on which Wireless Security Protocol your network uses.

NOTE:If your network does not have Wireless Security, leave the Security Mode set to Open System (No Authentication) .
Type your WEP/WPA/WPA2 key in the appropriate field, and then click Apply .
In the confirmation box, click OK , and then close the HTML Config and Print Queue windows.
In the Print & Fax window, click your HP product from the list of printers, and then click the Minus sign to remove it from the list.

NOTE:This action removes the USB Connection from the list so that the only entry for your HP product is the Wireless Connection.
Disconnect the USB cable from the product and the computer.
Under Printers , click the Plus sign ( ).
Select your product name with Bonjour as the Kind , and then click Add .
Close the Printers & Fax window.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not a Mac guy, so I'm out of my depth now. For sure, it seems as though this might be the way. I used to have an HP laser printer and it had a mini web server that you could access from a PC or Mac web browser and set up the various configurations. Doesn't this printer have that facility? Though how would you access this over USB????

Tim

OP
M

miguels

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim,

Thanks a lot for your help, the answer to the errors etc in the HTML config may be a firmware update for Lion 10.

Michael

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - but - to return to your original point - **it shouldn't be this hard**

Let me/us know how you get on and have a great weekend....even if you can't print..:(

Tim

OP
M

miguels

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HP firmware upgrade to 20110826 dated 20 sept 2011

Upgraded firmware, test print shows the upgraded firmware but I still cant connect

In step five when clicking HTML config, all I get are two errors, error on line 6 and error on line 12

This firmware upgrade was to fix this connection.
Come on HP, please help with this problem

Michael

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You are certainly having a tough time here. I'm surprised that we've not had more suggestions as to what the problem is. Hopefully we'll get some Members posting their thoughts.

Tim

OP
M

miguels

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
You are certainly having a tough time here. I'm surprised that we've not had more suggestions as to what the problem is. Hopefully we'll get some Members posting their thoughts.

Tim

Hi Tim and everyone who tried to help with this problem.

I have succeeded in getting this printer to work perfectly.

Hints,

Lion does not work and can not set up the wireless html
I used a laptop with OSX 10.6 loaded and it allows you to see the html config page
which Lion was unable to do because of line 6 and12 errors.

Enter all your wireless info as requested, press apply and it all works?

If it does not work I found that going to the SSID address box, deleting your SSID, then rekeying it in the same box works.

Now when I switch the printer on, the blue wireless light stays on after a short while, please wait.

The printer is connected by cable to my Mac and prints ok, the Ipad can print by wireless
with the Mac on and its printer cable connected, everything now works after a big struggle.

Hope this helps others

Michael

VPGS2011

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have just figured out how to make my iPad2 and iPhone 4S print to my HP P1102W. I have my printer wirelessly
connected to my HP Desktop but then decided to hook up the USB Cable also. When I did this it reinstalled the
printer. Then I went to the HP website to the P1102W driver and update page where I selected the operating system of the computer my printer was connected to, then it allowed me to choose what to download. CHOOSE FIRMWARE
(1), not driver updates. Then click MORE INFO and it will take you to a page where you can finally click to
DOWNLOAD the firmware update. It should download and update instantly. AS SOON as I updated the printer
FIRMWARE from the above site, I was instantly able to print from iPad2 and iPhone 4S, even after I disconnected the USB cable from my desktop printer. The iPad and iPhone found the printer just like a laptop finds available wireless
networks. Just make sure all Devices are on Wi-Fi. Good luck and Happy Printing!

Most reactions

Latest posts