What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How's the battery life with iOS 8.4?

Fid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Since it is a major grumble with phone OS updates I thought I'd ask before upgrading my iPad and Mom's iPhone 5. I can live with the battery on the iPad dropping a little faster, but Mom's iPhone not lasting half a day would be troublesome.

Blue92

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't think people have used it long enough yet to provide a good answer.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Other than a few issues surrounding the new Music app and service, I've heard nothing negative about the iOS 8.4 update. Even those are minor, if you avoid turning on the iCloud Music Library; which is entirely optional.

iOS 8.4 introduced nothing new in the way of power or battery management. Mostly it got the new Music app, the new Apple Music service (opt in for a free three month trial), moving audiobooks to iBooks, and some bug fixes. Oh, and a few security updates, at least one considered serious.

While there is never a guarantee that something new will not pop up, there is little reason to expect it in this case.

Then again, unless you want to try try the new Apple Music service while the free trial is going on there is nothing about the update that demands immediate adoption.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No problems at all with all my upgrades. Be aware some updates will cause features to default to original settings. Just check each setting to see if was how you left it. Bluetooth for example default is ON cheers from down under Colin

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Complaints of bad battery life crop up after each new release, this can sometimes be related to folks using their device more often to take advantage of a new feature or bug fix. This also means that the screen is on for longer periods of time and that, in itself, will lead to a reduction in battery life. I updated my iPhones and iPads to 8.4 the day after it was released and I haven't seen any difference in battery life.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Oddly, Bluetooth did NOT get switched on by the update here. Anyone experiencing shorter battery cycles should check that first.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, at the end of last week, I updated 5 Apple products, i.e. 2 computers to OS 10.10.4 and 3 iDevices to iOS 8.4 - the latter seem to be maintaining decent battery life; for the iDevices I always do a 'Reset', i.e. does not hurt and may just clear out some update 'cobwebs' & recalibrate the battery monitoring function - not sure?

But others have certainly reported battery issues w/ nearly every iOS update, e.g. take a look at this How to Fix Bad iOS 8.4 Battery Life - just published about a week ago. Many suggestions are offered, including checking your battery usage in Settings -> General - a screenshot of my iPad Air 2 a few moments ago; I clicked on '7 days' which shows which apps are consuming your battery resources - also notice my battery is @ 92% and usage is just over an hour, so I would suspect another 8 hours or so this charge.

Also, you might want to obtain one or several battery apps in the store to help monitor your usage - I have two on my iPad - hope this helps in your decision. Dave :)

P.S. I did not activate Apple's new music offering on any of our iDevices, if that may be a consideration?
File Jul 07, 1 13 57 PM.png

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts