What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to view messages in spam and trash folders

PamBee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I have registered with an Antique Glass site, but because their verification message may to have gone into my spam or trash folder, I cannot access it to enable me to complete my registration. How do I read messages in these two folders, please?
Thanks,

PamBee

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Pam - welcome to the forum! :) Several questions: 1) I'm assuming that you are using the native 'Mail' app of the iPad?; and 2) You have setup your mail account(s) in that app (e.g. I have a Yahoo and a Road Runner account in my app). Go to your mailboxes and select the account were the spam/trash folders are located - entering that mail account should get you to the folders on their servers where you data is kept - let us know if this works. Of course, you can also go to your mail client in a browser, sign in, and look in the respective folders there. Good luck - Dave

OP
PamBee

PamBee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Dave,

Thanks for your message.
I was so pleased to find this forum!

My email is with gmail.com. I have had an iPad 2 since last March, and am just now getting to know it well, and love it! However, some things really trick me.
When I go into All folders in Gmail, it lists Inbox, Sent Mail, Spam, Trash etc, but when I click on Spam (or Trash). they don't open - the others do open.

Of course it may be driver error - (I have advanced Macular Degeneraton and now only have about 30 per cent vision (bxxxxxxxggeeerrr!!!) Sorry, I'm not usually prone to swearing, but it can get very frustrating, so I hope there are not too many typo's in this.

Is iPad more compatible with other mail servers? Should I perhaps change to another server
- although I'm studying DNA analysis and genealogy with FTDNA, and if I changed servers it would entail heaps of work.

Many thanks,

Pam

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Dave,

Thanks for your message.

My email is with gmail.com. I have had an iPad 2 since last March, and am just now getting to know it well, and love it! However, some things really trick me.
When I go into All folders in Gmail, it lists Inbox, Sent Mail, Spam, Trash etc, but when I click on Spam (or Trash). they don't open - the others do open.

Of course it may be driver error - (I have advanced Macular Degeneraton and now only have about 30 per cent vision (bxxxxxxxggeeerrr!!!) Sorry, I'm not usually prone to swearing, but it can get very frustrating, so I hope there are not too many typo's in this.

Is iPad more compatible with other mail servers? Should I perhaps change to another server
- although I'm studying DNA analysis and genealogy with FTDNA, and if I changed servers it would entail heaps of work.

Many thanks,

Pam

Gmail usually works well on iPad.
I suppose you use the built in Mail app.
Is it possible that Trash and Spam have sub-folders and are greyed out? Then you can't open them directly, you have to open the subfolder.

Perhaps there's something wrong with Trash/Spam:
Go into your Gmail settings in Settings - Mails, Contacts, Calendars, open your Gmail account, tap your email address and then scroll down to Advanced. The next thing you should see is "Mailbox Behaviour". Tap "Spam" or "Trash" there and see where emails are sent to. Perhaps you'll have to choose where they should go by yourself.

You could also try to delete the account and set it up again. Sometimes this solves problems.

Next suggestion: reset your iPad: press and hold Home and Power button at the same time until the Apple logo appears. You don't lose any information by doing this.

Another possibility would be to use an app for Gmail. "Mailbox" is good, there are others available as well in App Store.

Last edited:

Richard Brown

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Dave,

Thanks for your message.

Many thanks,

Pam

Hi Pam,

Welcome to the forum.

I use Gmail. My spam and trash folders open and I can read and deal with messages in those folders. I don't know why these folders don't open for you. Have you asked Google for help?

Now, there are 3 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the iPad. Perhaps you may find an answer in there. Search is a powerful forum tool well worth using
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html/] iPad tips and tricks
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html/]iPad ios5 tips and tricks
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help/61009-easy-pictorial-shortcuts-helpful-places-people-new-ipad.html/]pictorial shortcuts and helpful places

Please keep us informed about how you get on with the Gmail issues.

Enjoy your membership.

Richard Brown
A member of the iPF moderators' team.

Sent from my iPad3 using Tapatalk.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, I have registered with an Antique Glass site, but because their verification message may to have gone into my spam or trash folder, I cannot access it to enable me to complete my registration. How do I read messages in these two folders, please?
Thanks,

PamBee

I think the answer to your problem is for you to go to a computer to set up the Gmail account to be best viewed on the iPad. There are settings in Gmail that can be turned on and off - and if they are off, the iPad will not show them. See this diagram for the steps:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377961538.206920.jpg

I believe you can access Gmail via Safari (on the iPad) to do this, you'll just have to view the account in "desktop" mode. I've found it's easier to do fiddly stuff like this on a desktop/laptop, but...

If you put a tick mark in the boxes by the the "show in IMAP" lines (as described in #4 in my picture) for the folders you wish to see in the iPad's Mail program, I think this'll work.

So, try it? If it works, yay. If not, let us know and we can take another shot at it.

Marilyn

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Worst case (or maybe best), there is a GMail app in the App Store. It works pretty well.

I use the Mail app most of the time, because it integrates with the rest of the iPad apps best; however I also keep the dedicated GMail and Yahoo Mail apps on my iPad, specifically because they give better control over the Trash and Junk/Spam folders than the Mail app does, including the ability to bulk delete those folders.

OP
PamBee

PamBee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, thanks for your help.

Until late tomorrow (Monday in Oz) when I return home I am unable to connect to the web, as I'm staying with my daughter for a coup;e of days and she does not have WiFi, so I can't connect my iPad to the web.

Will let you all know the outcome as soon as possible.

Many thanks,

Pam

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Pam and welcome to the Forum!

Hi from Brisbane!

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Tutorial for our App
http://www.ipadforums.net/new-membe...sistance/107524-ipad-forums-app-tutorial.html
Tutorial on creating posts on the Forum
http://www.ipadforums.net/new-membe...-creating-posts-starting-new-threads-how.html
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://support.apple.com/manuals/#ipad
3 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/new-membe...1590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-don-t-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help...shortcuts-helpful-places-people-new-ipad.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

OP
PamBee

PamBee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the answer to your problem is for you to go to a computer to set up the Gmail account to be best viewed on the iPad. There are settings in Gmail that can be turned on and off - and if they are off, the iPad will not show them. See this diagram for the steps:

View attachment 47481

I believe you can access Gmail via Safari (on the iPad) to do this, you'll just have to view the account in "desktop" mode. I've found it's easier to do fiddly stuff like this on a desktop/laptop, but...

If you put a tick mark in the boxes by the the "show in IMAP" lines (as described in #4 in my picture) for the folders you wish to see in the iPad's Mail program, I think this'll work.

So, try it? If it works, yay. If not, let us know and we can take another shot at it.

Marilyn

Hi Marilyn,

Thanks for this - unfortunately I can't see your diagram as when I enlarge it , all is very blurry!
I have now managed to access the Span and Trash folders, so was able to delete all within.
I found that by using the laptop, I was able to access the folders.

Everyone has been so kind and helpful, which is much appreciated!

Kind regards,

Pam

OP
PamBee

PamBee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi lelai,

What a wonderful bunch of people you all are - so helpful and welcoming, I feel quite overwhelmed with all the responses and information, so many, many thanks!

I have another question or two (at the risk of straining the friendship) - My 'Nightstand' used to work beautifully, but now it's gone too dark to see, and after tapping it now the brightness on the I
Pad is very low. so I have to go into settings, and slide the brightness to a higher level.

Why would 'Nightstand' have changed, and how do
I fix this, please?
Question two.: when a misspelled word is underlined and the correct spelling shown how do I select the suggested spelling? I find that just tapping the word does not usually make it replace the misspelled word?

Once again, many thanks,

Pam

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi lelai,

What a wonderful bunch of people you all are - so helpful and welcoming, I feel quite overwhelmed with all the responses and information, so many, many thanks!

I have another question or two (at the risk of straining the friendship) - My 'Nightstand' used to work beautifully, but now it's gone too dark to see, and after tapping it now the brightness on the I
Pad is very low. so I have to go into settings, and slide the brightness to a higher level.

Why would 'Nightstand' have changed, and how do
I fix this, please?
Question two.: when a misspelled word is underlined and the correct spelling shown how do I select the suggested spelling? I find that just tapping the word does not usually make it replace the misspelled word?

Once again, many thanks,

Pam

Hi Pam,

Thank you very much, I'm sure everyone will appreciate your kind words......we do have many wonderful members here who do try to help others when they can.

Now to your questions, and no you won't strain this friendship. ;)......well I'm not sure why your brightness has changed. But there are steps to take when you do notice when things aren't operating the way they should. It's very much like a little housekeeping for your iPad to keep it running well.

Each night I close all the apps that I have used during the day.....this clears them from ram and keeps the iPad running smoothly,
From the home screen do the four finger swipe up or double press the home button to reveal your multi task bar. These are all the apps that you have opened at one time. Long press an app until it jiggles and a red minus sign will appear above it. Press the minus sign, this will close the app, not delete it, now press the home button to return to your screen.

I also do a restart of my iPad occasionally.
Press and hold the power off button, the one at the top right. You will see a slide appear to power off, slide this and the screen will go dark and a Whirly will appear. When the Whirly disappears your iPad is now off. Press the power button again until the Apple logo appears, this will take a few seconds and your iPad will restart.

And when I notice something just isn't right, a reset. This does not change anything on your iPad and is akin to rebooting a PC.
Hold the power off button and the home button simultaneously, keep holding them in and you may see the power off slide appear and disappear, wait until you see the Apple logo appear before releasing the buttons. It will take a little longer for your iPad to start.

Now to misspelled words.....if you are in the act of typing a word and the word you want pops up, just do a space and this word will then be typed, if it's not the word you want, tap it or just keep typing and it will disappear. If after typing, you then see an underlined word, tap it, it will then be highlighted in pink and one or a choice of words will then appear, select the one you want by tapping it and it will replace the word you had. If your iPad is not working like this, it may be time for a reset of your iPad.

Now as you're an Aussie you will notice that many of our words are spelled a little differently in other countries, and yes it can be annoying but you will find that after a while the iPad will actually learn the way we spell these words and will stop underlining them as incorrect. Thank goodness! It used to drive me silly at times! ;)

I hope this helps you! Enjoy!

OP
PamBee

PamBee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks very much for all the info.

I did forget one important query -as I am now vision impaired (Advanced Macular Degeneration) - it' s very difficult to read normal size font.

How can I make the font bigger - apart from tapping then spreading my fingers to enlarge , which does not always work (such as in these posts) ???

Is there something in Settings? Can't see anything there at the moment.

Emails are easy to enlarge by spreading my fingers, but in many cases ( such as in Facebook and some other posts) that does not work.
Any ideas, please?

Also is it possible to enlarge the tiny icons at the bottom of your page?

Sorry if I'm asking too many questions (but Scorpios are known for their eternal curiosity!)

Thanks heaps,

Pam

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks very much for all the info.

I did forget one important query -as I am now vision impaired (Advanced Macular Degeneration) - it' s very difficult to read normal size font.

How can I make the font bigger - apart from tapping then spreading my fingers to enlarge , which does not always work (such as in these posts) ???

Is there something in Settings? Can't see anything there at the moment.

Emails are easy to enlarge by spreading my fingers, but in many cases ( such as in Facebook and some other posts) that does not work.
Any ideas, please?

Also is it possible to enlarge the tiny icons at the bottom of your page?

Sorry if I'm asking too many questions (but Scorpios are known for their eternal curiosity!)

Thanks heaps,

Pam

Ask any question you like, we are here to help! ;)

If you go into your Settings App, select General then Accessibility, you will see a setting here for larger text.....just select the one which suits you. But these will only work for notes, email and I'm pretty sure your calendar. There are other settings here which may help you also such as the zoom feature. I have tried this myself but it made me a little seasick.

Some apps will have a setting for larger fonts. I think you're using our App for this forum and our app does have this setting. Down the bottom you will see a More tab, press this then Settings, then Forum Reading Options and you will see a setting for font size. Now I know that for some of these settings to be activated in our app, you will need to close the app completely (I've given you the instructions on how to do this in my earlier post). So once you have set the font size, close the app and then reopen it and the change should have taken place.

We also have a tutorial for our app which I will link below. I hope this helps you also.
http://www.ipadforums.net/new-membe...sistance/107524-ipad-forums-app-tutorial.html

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In addition - you can go to the General tab in your settings app and then press on the Accessibility line. Then, when that tab opens, look for the line titled "Zoom" and turn it ON. After its one, a three-fingered tap on your screen will make the entire screen zoom in. This applies anywhere - in an app, looking at your icons, etc. Like this:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378434667.600406.jpg

Or this (a zoom-in of my homescreen):

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378434693.467617.jpg

Once you are in zoom, you can three-finger tap-and-hold to move the screen around so you can read the whole page. It'll take a bit of practice, but maybe it'll do?

Marilyn

P.S. I had to take these pictures with my phone because, interestingly enough, a screenshot on the iPad resulted in a normal-looking picture (IOW - it didn't show it zoomed in). Weird ... and something I didn't know. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts