What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to Upload Docs From Pages to External Websites

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
iCab Mobile can upload to most websites, but you must use the Open In... function to copy the documents to iCab Mobile first.

Some websites also allow you to upload a file that is already on the web using the URL. The link usually needs to end in the files actual name including extension. It is possible generate this kind of link using DropBox, provided you put the file you wish to copy in the Public directory.

The other possibility is to create your own app. You wouldn't necessarily need to use the App Store. It might be possible to create an HTML 5 (web based) app to do what you want. Afraid I can't offer details on that. It's well beyond my knowledge of how-tos.

OP
tlbaker

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
splodge said:
any ideas?

I used the iCab App with Dropbox. iCab does it's job by uploading the document;however, the receiving site won't take the document. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 IOS 5.0.1 Update using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You are trying to use iCab Mobile to upload to DropBox? Use the DropBox app to upload files to DropBox instead.

Or you are using the URL link method from DropBox that I described. Two things. Make sure you have the file saved in DropBoxes Public folder. The URL must end in the file's name and extension (file.jpg, file.doc, etc.). This won't happen from a file shared in any other folder in DropBox. You'll get a secure link instead that will ends in some random letters.

That won't work. The receiving web site has to know what the file type is to handle it.

Also make sure there are not restrictions on files size/type, and that you comply with them if they are.

Or you are trying to do something else that I'm not getting.

Last edited:
OP
tlbaker

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
You are trying to use iCab Mobile to upload to DropBox? Use the DropBox app to upload files to DropBox instead.

Or you are using the URL link method from DropBox that I described. Two things. Make sure you have the file saved in DropBoxes Public folder. The URL must end in the file's name and extension (file.jpg, file.doc, etc.). This won't happen from a file shared in any other folder in DropBox. You'll get a secure link instead that will ends in some random letters.

That won't work. The receiving web site has to know what the file type is to handle it.

Also make sure there are not restrictions on files size/type, and that you comply with them if they are.

Or you are trying to do something else that I'm not getting.

I was trying to upload a word document onto a sight like monster or a company website. It won't take.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sorry. I don't have any other ideas.

You could contact the iCab Mobile developers via their support site (I think they have a feedback or email page). Point out the sites that don't work and maybe they'll be able to fix them with the next update.

OP
tlbaker

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Sorry. I don't have any other ideas.

You could contact the iCab Mobile developers via their support site (I think they have a feedback or email page). Point out the sites that don't work and maybe they'll be able to fix them with the next update.

I did that as well. No answer. No worries, thanks for all your help.

Most reactions

Latest posts