What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to Upload Docs From Pages to External Websites

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is this possible? Can anyone help with this? Thanks.

Sent from my Verizon 64GB Black iPad2 using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
At the moment, it is a bit of a pain. It requires either having some kind of WebDav service, or emailing the documents to yourself, using Open In... to move them to another app (like GoodReader or DropBox) and going from there.

iOS is out today, 12 Oct (though not quite this early apparently :) ) and should change the available options. There should be updates (free I'm pretty sure) of all the iWorks apps today also. I suspect our options are about to change for the better. Unless you have a reason to stick with your current iOS version, I recommend you wait and see what happens rather than set something up right now.

If you need something immediately I recommend emailing the document to yourself and using a desktop if possible. Or if you have DropBox, you can use Open In... in Email to copy it there, and then send a link to anyone you want.

If you must upload it to a website, then you want iCab Mobile, a third part browser. Again, email it to yourself, but use the Open In option to open it in iCab. Then you can visit the site in iCab and upload it (probably). iCab Mobile is the only browser I know that will (usually) allow uploading to a web page.

OP
tlbaker

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
At the moment, it is a bit of a pain. It requires either having some kind of WebDav service, or emailing the documents to yourself, using Open In... to move them to another app (like GoodReader or DropBox) and going from there.

iOS is out today, 12 Oct (though not quite this early apparently :) ) and should change the available options. There should be updates (free I'm pretty sure) of all the iWorks apps today also. I suspect our options are about to change for the better. Unless you have a reason to stick with your current iOS version, I recommend you wait and see what happens rather than set something up right now.

If you need something immediately I recommend emailing the document to yourself and using a desktop if possible. Or if you have DropBox, you can use Open In... in Email to copy it there, and then send a link to anyone you want.

If you must upload it to a website, then you want iCab Mobile, a third part browser. Again, email it to yourself, but use the Open In option to open it in iCab. Then you can visit the site in iCab and upload it (probably). iCab Mobile is the only browser I know that will (usually) allow uploading to a web page.

Very nice!!! Thank you. *waiting not very patiently for the new iOS system*

OP
tlbaker

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
No problem. Still not sign of it here. I may give up and go to bed, maybe even before it's time to get up.

They should have had this available by 12AM this morning unacceptable lmao!! :D

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok, looks like it did not change the options very much.

The new iWorks apps basically make copies of their documents in iCloud (if you set it up). Once there they will automatically sync to other devices that have one of the apps on it, and you can access them from the iCloud.com site on a computer.

If you just want them published on the web where others can can download them you can use the iWork.com site. It's free, and you can share/publish your Pages, Numbers, and Keynote documents to it, then mail the links to friends; and it can be done directly from the app. It's not even a new feature.

There are other more esoteric methods, so if this does not do what you need give me some more details on what you want to accomplish and maybe I can come up with something.

OP
tlbaker

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Ok, looks like it did not change the options very much.

The new iWorks apps basically make copies of their documents in iCloud (if you set it up). Once there they will automatically sync to other devices that have one of the apps on it, and you can access them from the iCloud.com site on a computer.

If you just want them published on the web where others can can download them you can use the iWork.com site. It's free, and you can share/publish your Pages, Numbers, and Keynote documents to it, then mail the links to friends; and it can be done directly from the app. It's not even a new feature.

There are other more esoteric methods, so if this does not do what you need give me some more details on what you want to accomplish and maybe I can come up with something.

Thank you again. What I've noticed is that we can no longer forward apps to friends via email. Is this me or is there some other way to do it?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Do you mean the Tell A Friend and Gift options in the App Store? They are still there and working as far as I can tell.

OP
tlbaker

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Do you mean the Tell A Friend and Gift options in the App Store? They are still there and working as far as I can tell.

Yeah, I kept pressing on the apps and nothing happened. It works on my iPhone. Strange.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Works on both my iPad 2 and iPhone 4. On the iPad the links are at the top left of the app description page. On the iPHone they are buttons at the bottom.

Try restarting or reseting the iPad and see what happens. It wouldn't be the first time an iDevice acted a bit wonky after an update. A reset usually sets it straight. Heck I reset before and after the update just for good measure. I was getting errors trying to update until I remembered to do it this time. Of course i did several other things, any of which might have been the fix, or just luck of the draw.

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

OP
tlbaker

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Works on both my iPad 2 and iPhone 4. On the iPad the links are at the top left of the app description page. On the iPHone they are buttons at the bottom.

Try restarting or reseting the iPad and see what happens. It wouldn't be the first time an iDevice acted a bit wonky after an update. A reset usually sets it straight. Heck I reset before and after the update just for good measure. I was getting errors trying to update until I remembered to do it this time. Of course i did several other things, any of which might have been the fix, or just luck of the draw.

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

It's working now. Strange. Thanks!

OP
tlbaker

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Sometimes the store has glitches. It can be hard to tell if it's your device or the store much of the time.

Yes, I had a hard time synching the IDs between the two devices and accounts.

splodge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerpoet, hi...we have the same problem, we built, manage, support and host web based application (database driven web sites) for our clients. They need to allow their users to upload CVs (resumes) using ipad/ipad2. At them moment we can't make this happen for the same reasons, upload control greyed out. Is there a way around this yet? If you send me your email address I will forward you one or two of our client web site addresses so you can see the problem using your Ipad. Any thoughts?

Most reactions

Latest posts