What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to unlock forgotten restrictions code

Kadavukid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there, so somehow my kids have enabled a restrictions code and I no longer have the app store icon visible on my ipad, we don't know what the code is and after backing up the ipad I erased the ipad hoping that by restoring it would turn off restrictions and bring back my app store - which it didn't. Any help on resolving this issue would be appreciated :eek:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, that password was/is in your backup. So, when you put the back-up back on, you put the pass code back on, also. The only thing you can do is restore the iPad from new and not use the backup.

Sorry.

Marilyn

OP
K

Kadavukid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Further to this, so when I tried restoring via Itunes it kept downloading the latest version of software which the ipad already had and it kept timing out as it was taking so long, so after many frustrating days I set a passcode for login and deliberately failed that ten times to erase the ipad and then restored this morning via Itunes. Suffice to say restrictions is still enable showing the failed number of attempted passcodes and still no app store icon.....

OP
K

Kadavukid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ahh I understand and such a simple solution, thanks for the advice Marilyn much appreciated....So does that mean that I have to reload all the apps etc I cant copy anything over from itunes?? I guess it would recognise the serial number again if I connected it up??

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes. You have to start all over again. As far as I know, there is no way to separate out saved apps - backups are all or nothing. So, you'll be back to the point when you first took the iPad out of the box. you'll have to re-load your settings, set up your mail account(s) and download all the apps you have. The good news is that you CAN re-download the apps again for free (once you've bought an app - its yours).

It's going to be a bit of a pain, I know. But, then it'll be good to go. And, I hope you've got some good chores lines up for your kids to do ... after making you go through all this! :)

Marilyn

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Be certain to back up any documents (in apps) and your pictures on the camera roll. These won't be restored when you download the apps again (because they are in the backup you won't be using).

Most reactions