How to transfer photos from PC to iPad Air

Discussion in 'iPad Air Forum' started by Vagulus, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Vagulus

Vagulus
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Can I transfer JPEGs etc. from my PC into iPad Photos?

2. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You can sync them to your iPad using iTunes on a computer: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4236

Second possibility:
    Use online storage (Dropbox, Box, ...):
    On your PC, save them to the storage, install the app on your iPad and save the photos to the Camera Roll from there. For this method, you'll have to be connected to Wi-Fi.

#2 J. A., Jul 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. rickduley

rickduley
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Thanks J. A.

Please be clear that I am not an Apple User. I have inherited an iPad which has some handy tricks (like document scanning) and a good camera, but my first name is not Johnny.

I have to say that the very word "Sync" sends shivers up my spine. Anytime I go somewhere near that things go crazy and Apple tries to upload all my music to my phone (an impossibility).

I have not found any way to transfer files to anything other than DocScan using iTunes on my PC. I can't find anything sensible unless I want to download music or movies (and I don't). All I want to do is to put some photos on the iPad so I can show them to people when away from home.

I am sure there is a way, but the inheritors of the Jobs Empire are striking back at this poor IBM Clone. Can you help a little more?

Thanks

4. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You'll find syncing explained by twerppoet in this thread:http://www.ipadforums.net/threads/how-do-i-transfer-photos-from-pc-to-my-ipad.100911/

If you have a Dropbox account (possible using a browser, or install the app on your iPad and set up an account), then install Dropbox on your PC. You'll be able to automatically upload photos from the computer to the storage. Everything that's stored on your PC in Dropbox will be visible in the app as well. From there you can save it to the iPad's Photo app this way: view the file in the app. Select the Share button inthe upper right corner, next to the star. Then tap "Save Image". When it has finished loading, you'll find it in Camera Roll.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    In Dropbox and other online storage apps, you have the possibility to show photos offline as well. This will take storage space on your iPad, but you don't need to save them to the Photos app, and it can be reversed any time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. Vagulus

Vagulus
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I had a good look at twerppoet's posting, set up a folder with two other folders in it, and put photos in those folders. I think I got that to sync - at least it was trying. It got its nose out of joint because it could not download purchases from the iPad - not surprising since I haven't made any. Anyway, I can't find folders or photos anywhere in the iPad. Does this JPEG mean anything?
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. J. A.

J. A.
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    If it was successful, you'll find the photos in the Photos app.

I see that you chose "selected folders", but I can't see that you selected folders at all.

7. Warren9981

Warren9981
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    You could always copy the photos to a SD card and use the iPad SD card reader to transfer them to the iPad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

8. Vagulus

Vagulus
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Thanks J. A.
    Check the Boxes! Duh! :oops:

Works now.

Thanks to all who offered assistance.

9. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Keep in mind that photo albums/folders synced through iTunes can only be deleted or changed on the computer, and re-synced.

Just to save you frustration down the road when you try to change them on the iPad itself.

10. Vagulus

Vagulus
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Thanks pal.
    I had picked that up.
    Just for interest, though, why would I want Apps from my iPad to be transferred to my PC? I would have thought they would be just about as useful as a chocolate teapot. I only ask because iTunes tries really hard to transfer them and I can't find a way to tell it to forget about it.