What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to transfer over to a new computer and a new iPad?

mamiamjo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently bought a new computer (windows 7 os) and a new ipad3. I need to transfer my iTunes to the new computer and transfer everything from my old iPad to the new one.
What's the best process and order for doing these two things?

Raw Intentions

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mamiamjo said:
I recently bought a new computer (windows 7 os) and a new ipad3. I need to transfer my iTunes to the new computer and transfer everything from my old iPad to the new one.
What's the best process and order for doing these two things?

I use icopyexpert to transfer my music from my iPod to iTunes. I also have all media backed up on a external hard drive. It makes transferring data to and from computers easier. Did you back your iPad up with iCloud? Does not matter really because once you plug your old iPad into your new computer all you'll need is you iTunes account to transfer what on your 1st gen iPad to your new computer.

OP
M

mamiamjo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I should download iTunes on the new computer first? Then sync with my old iPad before setting up my new iPad?

ogilley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To be precise, download iTunes to your new computer. Get iTunes set up and choose not to sync when your iPad is connected. Then connect your old iPad, and do a backup. Then connect your new iPad and rather than set it up as a new iPad, choose restore from a backup and restore from your old iPad backup. If this isn't clear Google it. There are several step-by-step outlines for doing what you want. The first step is to backup your old iPad once iTunes is installed on your new pc.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Raw Intentions

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ogilley said:
To be precise, download iTunes to your new computer. Get iTunes set up and choose not to sync when your iPad is connected. Then connect your old iPad, and do a backup. Then connect your new iPad and rather than set it up as a new iPad, choose restore from a backup and restore from your old iPad backup. If this isn't clear Google it. There are several step-by-step outlines for doing what you want. The first step is to backup your old iPad once iTunes is installed on your new pc.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Honestly the best way is to restore from back up but you have to setup your iPad because it's how you get it registered through apple. So as long as your old iPad has been backed up to your new computer you can restore that backup to your new iPad. Easy as pie. If it was difficult people would not be upgrading their iPads every year.

broster73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think you can use icould to sync files betweew old iPad to new iPad. Or you can try isoftcoupon iPad transfer to transfer files to new iPad

carl 11

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a ipad 1, I went ahead plugged in, backed up, then plugged in my 3, did the register, logged in, then restored form back up BUT NONE of my play-lists or music 'restored' to my new 3........any suggestions?

Most reactions

Latest posts