What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to transfer music...

jimmy23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did you buy them on your iPad on the iTunes app, if so on your mac you should have the songs you bought on your iPad on there I think! You might have to plug it in with the USB cable
BTW I dont have a mac so I might be wrong!

 Sent from my iPad 32gb (3rd generation) using iPF 

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
MoonlitSonata said:
No, i put them on myself.

I am not sure how you did that, the only way of getting music onto your iPad without syncing with iTunes on a Pc or Mac is by downloading from the iTunes store.

dmspen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not so. There are programs that let you place files like mp3s in the ipad music folders. iTunes alternaitives if you will. Google your question and you'll find lots of programs to move your music without iTunes or syncing. You still need to be connected...unless Home Sharing would work...

OP
MoonlitSonata

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't think any of you understand my problem, so let me explain. All of my music from my old computer is on my iPad. I want to transfer the music from my iPad to the new computer.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, you can't transfer songs from the iPad to a new computer using iTunes.

My only suggestion is to have a Google search and find a program that can do this for you. I know there are some out there, some free, some paid, but I don't know any names.

But, an external program is the only way I know of to do this with music you did not purchase with iTunes or put on the iPad with iTunes.

Marilyn

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sorry, I don't have a good answer for you - an iTunes sync would presumably delete your songs on the new computer or is there a way around that option - not sure?

Just wanted to join this thread because I'll be buying a new computer when the newer OSs are released, so will be in a somewhat similar situation - now in searching I've found 3rd party programs, such as the one HERE, which offers a 'free download' but as is typical I suspect the program allows a very limited number of transfers, then a purchase key is needed to obtain the full functions.

Hope that you find an easy solution and looking forward to your posting back here and responses from others w/ potential solluctions - good luck! :)

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
MoonlitSonata said:
I don't think any of you understand my problem, so let me explain. All of my music from my old computer is on my iPad. I want to transfer the music from my iPad to the new computer.

No, we did not. Thank you for the clarification. This is a common question that comes up, and until you have to deal with it, the answer is not always apparent. As said above, your best bet is a third party program for your computer that allows access to iPad for the purpose of music transfer. A quick google search gives a few options, but I'll link to an article that may help http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/6-ways-to-sync-music-to-your-iphone-without-itunes/

hope it helps!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
..........................A quick google search gives a few options, but I'll link to an article that may help 6 Ways To Sync Music To Your iPhone Without iTunes

Keep in mind that the article linked above is nearly 3 yrs old, i.e. about a year before the iPad 1 was released - I'm sure the programs mentioned have been updated, if still available; but certainly other options have appeared since that time.

Got it sorted! Thanks!

OK - please tell us 'what' you did - might be useful to others? Thanks - :)

Project37

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In the link they list MediaMonkey. I use to use that program for music transfer but it does not work well with IOS 5. You can download from your IOS device but cannot upload with it. FileTransfer also works for download from an IOS device but I found it does not take all the album artwork with it at times.

jhick031

iPF Noob
Reaction score
any way to transfer my music from my iphone to my new "the new ipad" <<lol stupid>> but yeah is there any apps that would help me. i dont have a computer so yeah am i out of luck?

Most reactions

Latest posts