1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

how to transfer images to ipad and how to delete images

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by Santa Claus, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Santa Claus

Santa Claus iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I am brand new to ipad and in reality most computer stuff. My son placed some of my art on the ipad, but he put the wrong pictures. I need to remove current and post new. How do I do that?:confused:
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    When you're in the iPad's Photo app, touch briefly the thumbnail of the picture you want to delete. It will 'open' up in full-screen. At the top right hand side of the screen you'll see briefly a trash can icon. If you touch that you'll be offered the option of deleting the photo or art work. If you're too slow to 'catch' the trash can icon (it disappears quite quickly, allowing you to see your photo/art in full-screen mode) you can get it back by briefly touching the screen.

There are several ways that you can get new photos or art onto your iPad.

(a) email the photos to yourself and receive them on the iPad. The photo will display as an attachment. If it's a small file, then the iPad will automatically download it and will display it immediately in the iPad's email app. If it's a big file then it will display an icon of the attachment and you'll have to touch the icon to be offered the option to download it. Once it's downloaded and displayed on the screen if you touch *and hold* the image you'll be offered the option of opening it in the Photos app.

(b) you can sync your iPad with your PC using iTunes and transfer the image that way. But using iTunes is not really straightforward if, as you say, you're not that familiar with computers. So I would use another method

(c) you can use a 'cloud server', such as Apple's MobileMe, which gives you some disk space on their server. With a MobileMe subscription you can upload and download files to the MobileMe server (called iDisk) from your PC using a web browser. iDisk has a folder structure that includes Photos, Music, Documents etc and you can create new folders there (Control-N). With the iDisk app on your iPad you can then download/upload files from the Apple iDisk server to your iPad.

(d) Apple sell an 'adaptor' that plugs into the socket on the bottom of the iPad that will accommodate an SD memory card. You can transfer all your art/photos to an SD card and insert it into that adaptor. The iPad automatically recognises the photos/art if they're in a format that the iPad can understand and will offer you the opportunity to upload them to the iPad. It places them in the file space used by the iPad's built-in photo app

Tim
    Scotland
  3. ipadtransfer

ipadtransfer iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    do you want to keep the pics on your ipad or just delete them and upload the new ones?
  4. Pocobear

Pocobear iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    First, you should remove the pictures currently in the Camera Roll (Photos), so you won't be duplicating everything. You can do this by connecting the iPad to your computer and then going into iTunes, and under "Devices" on the left hand side of the screen, click on your iPad name. A window will open up with tabs on the top. Select "Photos", under "Photos", un-check "Sync Photos from..." , and sync, this will delete all of the photos on the iPad

You need to setup a folder, on your PC under "My Pictures", such as "iPad Pictures" and make all of the folders you want, with the pictures you want in them (copy, move or drag and drop, your choice), under that folder. Then go into iTunes, under PHOTOS and select "Sync Photos from" and change "My Pictures" to "Choose Folder" and then choose the folder you created "iPad Pictures" open it and select the folders you want to sync to the iPad. Then sync them.
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  5. dickquinn

dickquinn iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Tim the way you say to delete a photo does,nt work for me.when I open photos it shows all my pictures,then if I open one it opens full screen yes but no delete bin appears.If I touch the arrow as if to send,at the top right hand side it brings up e/mail ,copy,or delete,top left hand side.Then if I touch a photo a tick appears on it.If I press e/mail or copy ok,but if I touch delete,which is in bold red nothing happens,only ideas,
  6. bengun

bengun iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    pocobear - tx for the info. I managed to delete all the photos as you instructed
    , next I'll be setting up the folders as you suggest. Once I've done that and downloaded them to my iPad - can I expect each folder to show up as an individual album? If not - how to make it so? My other problem is the same as dick quinn above - any suggestions?
  7. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,985 / 1
    You can only delete photos that are in the Saved Photos album. This is the album where pictures get saved on the iPad when you send them to the Photos app from another app, save them Mail or a browser, or take a screen shot.

All other photo albums are synced from the computer, and may only be changed on the computer. Photos was never designed to be more than a way to store and show pictures. It has no management features for sorting, editing, or creating photos and albums.
  8. bengun

bengun iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    iPad photos

@ twerppoet - thanks for your insight. If I understand you correctly, Photos does NOT have the capability of storing photos in specific categories? Is there no way to assign photos to a specific category, e.g. Sports, Family, or Landscapes etc.in iPad? In other words, are all photos downloaded to iPad stored in one common area only? Be kind, for I am aged and unfamiliar with this device. Thanks in advance.
  9. Drak

Drak iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    if you put your photo's in folders Like Pocobear said then that is the category they will be in on the iPad
  10. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,985 / 1
    As Drak said, you put the pictures in folders on the computer.

Name the folders with your categories, and put the pictures in the corresponding folder. The folders will show up as albums on the iPad after you sync. The names of the albums will be the same as the folders.

Follow Pocobear's instructions and you will be fine. And if you don't get it perfect the first time, you can keep re-arrainging the pictures on the computer and re-syncing until you're happy with the results.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. peled

peled iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Photo Album is a killer application in iPAD.
    I mean it will Kill you to try and do something with it.
    Who ever designed this application on the iPAD , just hate himself, and hate pictures.
    It is known to be be the worth application on the iPAD.
    Must used a 3rd party. Just to get away from the "iTunes Virus"
  12. bengun

bengun iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Boys - I have to tell you something - I sat down today - followed the instructions you gave me - and everything worked as you said it would. Thank you so much! I have one more question - if in time I want to add more photos to say - my iPad Sports folder - is it a simple matter of placing a copy of the edited photos into my "Sports" folder on my PC, then dragging those photos into my "iPad photos - Sports" folder, then downloading to my iPad? Thanks in advance for your assistance - I'm very grateful.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,985 / 1
    Just add the new photos to the same folders you created on the PC. Then sync again. The new photos will be added to the iPad.
  14. bengun

bengun iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Thank you, sir - you've been most helpful.
  15. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,985 / 1
    No problem. Quick warning though, when you remove photos from those folders and sync they will be removed from the iPad as well.

Don't get into the habit of thinking any picture stored in the Photo's app is 'backed up' on the iPad. For one, they are usually optimized (smaller) than the originals. The second is that it is a pain to export more than a few photos at a time back off the iPad. And finally, any number of seemingly innocent things you do to the folders on the computer, or in your sync settings can remove them from the iPad on your next sync.

Always keep your originals safe and backed up on the computer, and if they are real important backed up somewhere else also.
  16. bengun

bengun iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    twerppoet - I think I understand your caution. If I remove photos from the folders on my pc, then synch my iPad, I'll lose those photos from the iPad as well, correct? I'm not understanding your point however, about "exporting more than a few photos at a time from the iPad." Under what circumstance would I be likely do that, given I still have the photos on my pc, where - it would seem to me - to be easier to export photos. Does the iPad give no warning that the action I'm about to perform on my pc or in synching could/will result in a loss of images? As always - thanks..
  17. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,985 / 1
    You've got the first part right.

As for the exporting, it was just another reason why you don't want to treat the iPad as a backup for your photos. It's too much work to get them back to the computer.

The only time I've heard of anyone trying to get his photos back from the iPad is when his the computer with the photos died. That's why I decided to confuse you some more with a warning. We all know we are supposed to do backups.

Which only means I'll be cursing myself if Murphy strikes, because I still haven't bought that new backup drive that's on my todo list.

The only time the iPad will warn you about removing content is if it is going to remove everything. This happens when you sync with a new iTunes account or a new computer. Best to just say no to this until you've made sure your new account and computer have everything you want to save on them.

When that time comes and if you still don't know how, we'll be here, or maybe somebody else will be here. Could be a while, after all.
  18. bengun

bengun iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    You've just given me the incentive to get off my butt and back-up my files to the external hard drive I purchased a month ago. I needed that little push - thanks..
  19. wabudds

wabudds iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There seems to be two discussions going on here, but I am interested in the process of deleting photos on my ipad only. When my Apple rep. helped me set up my ipad, he imported all my photos, and somehow I got tons of copies as well. I really don't want any of these photos. I have tried to remove them in itunes as well as with the red delete button on the ipad, and neither way works. Any more ideas?
  20. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,985 / 1
    With your iPad connected to the computer, select it in iTunes. Go to the photos tab and uncheck the Sync Photos from box. Then sync your iPad. All photos except those in Saved Photos album should be removed.

To delete the photos in the Saved Photos album on the iPad, open that Album in the Photos app, tap the box with an arrow icon in the right top corner, tap on each photo you want to delete, then use the red delete button. Each selected photo should show a blue checkmark when it's is selected for deletion.

If you want to sync other photos to the iPad, you set them up in folders on your computer. Put them in folders with the same name as the ablums you want them to appear in. Then go to the same place I told you to uncheck the sync box, select Choose folders from the pull down menu at the right of that box, and choose the folders you want.

Unless you have a Mac and use iPhoto or Aperture, then you select that program and choose the albums you've set up in those programs.