What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to transfer home videos (made on non-apple device) from IPad Air 2 to PC...

sam2019

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I happened to move about 30 GB of my personal trip videos from PC to iPad and they ended up in TV app (not in Photos). Now after a while I need them back to PC since I accidentally deleted those videos from my computer (Win 10) and have them only on iPad now. Is there way to transfer them back to PC without purchasing third-party apps?

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
So I happened to move about 30 GB of my personal trip videos from PC to iPad and they ended up in TV app (not in Photos). Now after a while I need them back to PC since I accidentally deleted those videos from my computer (Win 10) and have them only on iPad now. Is there way to transfer them back to PC without purchasing third-party apps?

Hi Sam.... - welcome to the forum! :) Now, I don't do much w/ videos on my iPads (now have the newest Pro) but can offer a few areas to explore (one will cost money, so may not interest you). First, do you have iTunes (newest version) on your PC? If so, you can cable your iPad to the computer, open the device in iTunes, and select TV Shows 'On My Device' (see first pic below); then open TV Shows on your PC and observe the 'Sync' options (see second pic) - read up on 'what this accomplishes' since I have this disabled as shown, so no experience - note that the 'Sync' options for various features in iTunes can misbehave, thus the suggestion to google some discussion of using this option, but just for a start review this Apple KB Article.

NOW, if you're willing to spend some $, then an alternative is to use iMazing - check their website for pricing (may be a free DL but not sure what features are permitted?) - in the third pic below, iMazing is open on my MBPro (there is a PC version) and I've selected Videos -> TV Shows on my iPad; two TV shows are on my iPad - note the bottom right transfer options; in the fourth pic, one show has been selected which can be copied from the iPad to my laptop w/ either iTunes or a folder as potential locations. Hopefully, others may 'chime in' supporting these two suggestions or offering other options. Dave :)
a-iTunes1.png
a-iTunes2.png
b-iMazing1.png
b-iMazing2.png

Last edited:
OP
S

sam2019

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Sam.... - welcome to the forum! :) Now, I don't do much w/ videos on my iPads (now have the newest Pro) but can offer a few areas to explore (one will cost money, so may not interest you). First, do you have iTunes (newest version) on your PC? If so, you can cable your iPad to the computer, open the device in iTunes, and select TV Shows 'On My Device' (see first pic below); then open TV Shows on your PC and observe the 'Sync' options (see second pic) - read up on 'what this accomplishes' since I have this disabled as shown, so no experience - note that the 'Sync' options for various features in iTunes can misbehave, thus the suggestion to google some discussion of using this option, but just for a start review this Apple KB Article.

NOW, if you're willing to spend some $, then an alternative is to use iMazing - check their website for pricing (may be a free DL but not sure what features are permitted?) - in the third pic below, iMazing is open on my MBPro (there is a PC version) and I've selected Videos -> TV Shows on my iPad; two TV shows are on my iPad - note the bottom right transfer options; in the fourth pic, one show has been selected which can be copied from the iPad to my laptop w/ either iTunes or a folder as potential locations. Hopefully, others may 'chime in' supporting these two suggestions or offering other options. Dave :)

Thank you Dave for detailed answer. I tried first option - didn't work for me. I asked the same question at Apple Support Forums - they couldn't help either. So I am thinking now about purchasing something and maybe iMazing could be an option. In your example the videos (specifically some TV show episodes) are showing up in TV show section, in my case, all my videos (the ones I wanted to save) are in Movies section - right above TV shows. Will the iMazing still be able to transfer them to PC?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thank you Dave for detailed answer. I tried first option - didn't work for me. I asked the same question at Apple Support Forums - they couldn't help either. So I am thinking now about purchasing something and maybe iMazing could be an option. In your example the videos (specifically some TV show episodes) are showing up in TV show section, in my case, all my videos (the ones I wanted to save) are in Movies section - right above TV shows. Will the iMazing still be able to transfer them to PC?

Hi again Sam - well, unfortunately I do not have any 'Movies' on my iPad (have made a few videos w/ the camera which are stored in Photos 'Camera Roll' - as shown on the iMazing screen below; and can be seen if I go to 'Camera' or 'Photos' in the left column) - so unless I download a number of movies which will be stored in that 'Library - Movies' category, I cannot test the feature for you. Now, iMazing is a 'free' DL, just don't know if it is fully functional, but give it a try - nothing to lose if your questions are answered. Also, I'm still unclear exactly where your 'Videos' are stored on the iPad, i.e. are they in the TV app, Photos, or elsewhere (just assume this would impact on 'how' iMazing lists them). Dave :)

Screen Shot 2019-04-22 at 1.45.20 PM.png

OP
S

sam2019

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you again Dave! So I tried iMazing and it worked! Apparently it gives you free first 50 transfers of videos and I needed just about that, 49 to be precise. I can't believe it worked so perfectly well and didn't need to purchase full version of the product which is around $40. Anyway lesson is learned - don't try to keep your non-Apple media on iPad/iPhone anymore or have a PC back up. And thank you Dave, appreciate you help.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thank you again Dave! So I tried iMazing and it worked! Apparently it gives you free first 50 transfers of videos and I needed just about that, 49 to be precise. I can't believe it worked so perfectly well and didn't need to purchase full version of the product which is around $40. Anyway lesson is learned - don't try to keep your non-Apple media on iPad/iPhone anymore or have a PC back up. And thank you Dave, appreciate you help.

Great Sam - glad that the 'free' DL gave you enough leeway to recover your videos! Now, don't give up on the 'paid' version if the features may be of use to you (e.g. better iPad backups for restoration or new device upgrades, plus other options explained on the website).

Plus, mainly for all reading this thread - never keep your 'important & irreplaceable files' (regardless of their type) on just one device, i.e. always have backups and make 'redundancy' your goal (I have at least 3 backups of all of my devices, i.e. computers and iDevices). Dave :)

Most reactions

Latest posts