What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to tell if IPAD is jail-broken?

wzubair

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I bought my IPAD 16GB 3G from a friend's friend a couple of months back. I have been thinking of updating the OS (current version is 4.2.1) and thought of checking out this forum before doing so. In the process I learned about jailbreak.

Now I am wondering if my IPAD is jail-broken. Is there any way to tell if this IPAD has been jail-broken? It has Cydia installed on it.
Thanks, and
Regards
Waqar

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If it has Cydia installed on it, then it is jailbroken. Don't upgrade the OS - because it will take you to iOS 4.3.5 and there's only a tethered jailbreak available for that at the moment on the iPad1.

Tim

OP
W

wzubair

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks.

Is there way to recover the IPAD from a jailbreak? Will a restore through Itunes do this?

I am really, at-least for the time being, not comfortable / skilled enough to utilize the jailbreak advantage and beleive an update would be more beneficial. However the concern would be what would happen to the 3G function as I am in Pakistan and therefore not on any US networks.

Regards,

Waqar

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You'll find plenty of clear instructions on how to restore your iPad to a non-JB condition over in the hacking section. It won't affect the 3G function at all, assuming it's an AT&T 3G model (you can tell this if it has a slot for a SIM card). The AT&T iPad 3G works just fine in your country. Many Members have brought iPads from the US to Pakistan.

I love your country and have visited many times. Very friendly and kind people. I hope I am able to visit again soon.

Tim

OP
W

wzubair

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Tim, you have been a great help.

It does have a slot for SIM card and I already using one from UFONE (one of the cellular service companies in Pakistan). However am not too sure about the AT&T thing but as it is an IPAD 1.

Anytime you visit, do give me a call and would love to meet you and show you around.

I will now check out the Hacking section.

Thanks Again.

Regards

Waqar

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Glad to hear - and don't hesitate to contact us again if you need any help. If it's running on 3G now, un-jail breaking it won't have any affect on the 3G function; it should still work just fine.

Thanks for your kind offer. I've been to Islamabad many times and a few places nearby, but I'd love to see the rest of your beautiful country.

Tim

Most reactions