What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to split the keyboard to text/type

anmanwar

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I saw something about IOS 5 that showed the keyboard split down the middle so you can text/type....how do you get this feature to open??? Thanks. Annette

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When the keyboard pops up, touch and hold the keyboard icon (bottom right) and you will get the option to split the keyboard......the same works in reverse.

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
Just pulling two fingers apart in the middle of the keyboard works as well. Never even knew about the button method. I knew you could split the keyboard and thought a suitable gesture to do it would be the splitting fingers.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DefBref said:
Just pulling two fingers apart in the middle of the keyboard works as well. Never even knew about the button method. I knew you could split the keyboard and thought a suitable gesture to do it would be the splitting fingers.

And guess what, I didn't know about that gesture.......we've both learnt something!

OP
anmanwar

anmanwar

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Very nice!! Thanks!!

Now one more question: I have the iPad, my daughter has iPod touch but we both use the same apple ID because basically it MY account. How do we do the messaging?? How do I assign an ID for her iPod touch that's only for messaging?
Thanks. Annette

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
anmanwar said:
Very nice!! Thanks!!

Now one more question: I have the iPad, my daughter has iPod touch but we both use the same apple ID because basically it MY account. How do we do the messaging?? How do I assign an ID for her iPod touch that's only for messaging?
Thanks. Annette

Hmm, not sure, you could sign up for a new Apple ID using her name I assume, not that I've tried it.

OP
anmanwar

anmanwar

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ugh I figured it out!! I just had to update my "contacts" and add her email address. Easy! Messaging works!!

charm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow the splitting finger gesture works on my iPad 1. After reading that multi gestures required iPad 2 I was resigned to using icon

skallal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've waiting for iOS 5, if only for the split keyboard. I've become somewhat adept at thumb typing in portrait mode. But the iPad is a little too big. The split keyboard is too small. I wish Apple would allow the user to stretch the keyboard to the desired size. Maybe I need to give it more time.

Does anyone else feel the split keyboard is too tiny?

Most reactions

Latest posts