How To: Set Up Your iPad the Right Way

Discussion in 'iPad FAQ' started by cimousa, Apr 8, 2010.

1. AbblePC

AbblePC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Nice write up, I would also add the part about adding docs via itunes to sync via usb once the iPad is set up with your favorite doc reading apps.

Most of the new iPad Doc apps which allow you to either read and or write/edit, now allow you to drag n drop files into iTunes into the specific app window for later syncing or while your docked for faster syncing.

Just drag the docs that you want to transfer under the Info tab in iTunes
    placing them under the app you wish to use with the docs.

Some people will want their docs to be synced immediately as some may wish to wait until after all apps are settled and you are more aware of memory availability for storage.

2. Ghuda

Ghuda
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Nice write up, I actually did 3 seperate sync sessions as I have a stupid amount of music and video that i uploaded. Took a total of about 12 hours, also because I have an older Powerbook and have my data on an external 320GB drive, so it needed to route it through the PB then to the IPad. (I know, I know its a jacked-up deal, but that's what it is). Thanks for sharing your start up.

3. Wilko58

Wilko58
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hi, Thanks for the write up, it was very useful but I have a question. I bought an iPad in New York yesterday and at the airport on my waI y back to the UK I plugged it into my laptop and logged into iTunes using my UK log-in details and it registered successfully and started downloading the music (from my laptop). However, now I have got home it will let me log into iTunes via wifi but only to show my account details and says it is not compatable with iTunes UK - is it a question of re-setting the iPad and starting from scratch in the UK (even updating/re-installing iTunes) or create a US account or will it never work?
    Aplogies if this has already been raised and many thanks in advance.

4. NumbLock

NumbLock
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    I added a link in my FAQ to yours. Great guide!

5. tozol

tozol
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I have to say, a nice clean guide, I actually have my just sold touch and the 8 gigs info in itunes is waiting for me.., but when I get me Ipad this week, I'm using it as a great opportunity to start from scratch

6. kimpad

kimpad
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I accidentally updated my itunes and now have locked the apps on my brand new Ipad,can you help me unlock the screen?

7. SweetPoison

SweetPoison
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Kim, how do you lock your apps? What makes you think they are locked?

8. jerrywhitted

jerrywhitted
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    hi my name is jerry and i got an i pad for my dauter and i can't get it to work

9. genius neuron

genius neuron
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    its a big help as i get started in setting up my ipad... thanks for posting.

10. genius neuron

genius neuron
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    by the way, im just wondering if i can use my ipad in making or should i say encoding my documents? (like microsoft word or excel?) and then retrieved it for my office presentation? thanks..