What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to set contacts and calendars?

healer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have added a GMail account to Mail in my iPad1.

Does it mean the Contacts and the Calendars in the iPad are automatically those of my GMail account?

I have turned Calendars on but I can't see if I need to turn Contacts on as well.

What does Notes refer to in the settings? If it refers to the Notes on the iPad, what has it got to do with the GMail account I have added in?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have added a GMail account to Mail in my iPad1.

Does it mean the Contacts and the Calendars in the iPad are automatically those of my GMail account?

I have turned Calendars on but I can't see if I need to turn Contacts on as well.

What does Notes refer to in the settings? If it refers to the Notes on the iPad, what has it got to do with the GMail account I have added in?

The contacts are not automatically your GMail account's. When you look at your account in Settings - Mails, ... You should see this:

image-851366295.jpg

You can add them to your contacts through the Mail app.
Choose the mail from which you want to store the contact, tap the contact

image-1018382437.jpg

Then this appears

image-4283420936.jpg

Now you are able to add your contact.

OP
H

healer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks!

I have been through with the settings as per your first image. I have turned everything on. So does it mean the Calendars on iPad will sync with that of my GMail account.

I don't know what the Notes refer to, though.

I don't quite follow your next two images. Are the contacts GMail's or only local on iPad. How can I have the local contacts sync with the GMail's?

As to Create New Contacts and Add to Existing Contacts, Does the word Contacts refer to individual record of a contact or a contact list of many contacts?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks!

I have been through with the settings as per your first image. I have turned everything on. So does it mean the Calendars on iPad will sync with that of my GMail account.

I don't know what the Notes refer to, though.

I don't quite follow your next two images. Are the contacts GMail's or only local on iPad. How can I have the local contacts sync with the GMail's?

As to Create New Contacts and Add to Existing Contacts, Does the word Contacts refer to individual record of a contact or a contact list of many contacts?

Calendar should sync. If not, there's something missing in Settings or Calendar.

Notes refer to Gmail notes. I don't use it, so I can't tell you exactly what you have to do.

The contacts I showed in my last pictures were from mails in the Mail app, no matter which account. If your settings are like mine (without the possibility to sync contacts), then you have to add your Gmail contacts manually, through the Mail app. That's what my last pictures show. Contacts refers to individual record of a contact. To add contact lists, perhaps someone else can help you.

OP
H

healer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks a lot. I have tried adding event in the calendar at Google's end. It does get reflected on the iPad.

However, I have tried to add event in the calendar on the iPad and I couldn't work out how to. I keep touching the time slot where I want to add an event but nothting happens.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot. I have tried adding event in the calendar at Google's end. It does get reflected on the iPad.

However, I have tried to add event in the calendar on the iPad and I couldn't work out how to. I keep touching the time slot where I want to add an event but nothting happens.

You have to tap and hold, then there appears "Add Event".

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The Notes switch is for syncing the Notes app between iOS devices using your GMail account. It will create a Notes folder/label in your Gmail account. Every iOS device you set up with this GMail account and enable Notes syncing will use this folder to stay in sync.

Yahoo accounts can do something similar.

iCloud syncing of notes used to do this, but has separated from it email in recent updates.

It is possible to copy and/or delete notes in the folder directly in GMail; however notes added to it will not appear in the Notes app. There is something different in the formatting, I gather.

OP
H

healer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The Notes switch is for syncing the Notes app between iOS devices using your GMail account. It will create a Notes folder/label in your Gmail account. Every iOS device you set up with this GMail account and enable Notes syncing will use this folder to stay in sync.

Thanks! It helps me understand.

OP
H

healer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You have to tap and hold, then there appears "Add Event".

Thanks your advice does work.

By the way, if you don't mind and this would be my last question on this thread, what is the "Archive Messages" in the GMail Account settings. Is it what it describes below it, i.e. "Save deleted messages in your All Mail folder.", or does it simply put all messages after a time-out in the All Mail folder?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Mostly it determine whether you get a Trash icon or a Folder (archive) icon at the top of the screen for dealing with emails. In theory turning Archiving off would delete emails instead of keeping them in All Mail. In reality, everything seems to end up in All Mail anyway. It's one of the peculiarities in how GMail implements it's IMAP service.

A while back I ran into a long complicated way to set up GMail on both the iPad and website so that Trash meant Trash, and a deleted email got deleted. It was too much trouble. I just go to the web interface or GMail app and delete there if I feel the need.

OP
H

healer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks! Are you referring to icons in the Mail app of the iPad. Mine is iPad1. I don't see any extra icon though I have turned Archive Messages on.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks! Are you referring to icons in the Mail app of the iPad. Mine is iPad1. I don't see any extra icon though I have turned Archive Messages on.

I misspoke. It is file box sort of icon (not a folder).

At the top right of the Mail screen you have several icons for flagging, moving, deleting, sharing, and starting a new email (in that order). If you have Archive turned on the third icon is a file box looking icon instead of a trash can. If you have more than one account setup, this will change depending on what folder and/or email you have selected.

image-2815061347.jpg

Your view may vary, since you have the iPad 1, but it should be similar. The GMail archive option has been around since iOS 4, if memory serves.

Last edited:
OP
H

healer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't know what happens. This time I go into the Mail. The screen is all blank, apart from showing four icons on the top right corner. After a short while the app just simply exits out to the home screen.

The first icon has an arrow pointing downards. The second one looks like a bin and I am not too sure if it is a garbage bin. The third one has an arrow pointing leftward. The last one is, as I can remember, for compsoing a new email message. None of the icons does anything at the moment. I remember when there is an email displayed, an icon next to the one having an arrow pointing downwards does not look intuitive to me. I had tried it when worked, the message displayed just disappeared. So I am not too sure if it had been deleted. I read up the iPad manual but I couldn't find all the icons explained. So I do n't know what flagging or sharing icons look like. I wish they have screen tips like Windows telling me what they do.

There is definitely Internet connection. I can see the word iPad and the signal symbol on the top left corner. No mailbox is displayed at all.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know what happens. This time I go into the Mail. The screen is all blank, apart from showing four icons on the top right corner. After a short while the app just simply exits out to the home screen.

The first icon has an arrow pointing downards. The second one looks like a bin and I am not too sure if it is a garbage bin. The third one has an arrow pointing leftward. The last one is, as I can remember, for compsoing a new email message. None of the icons does anything at the moment. I remember when there is an email displayed, an icon next to the one having an arrow pointing downwards does not look intuitive to me. I had tried it when worked, the message displayed just disappeared. So I am not too sure if it had been deleted. I read up the iPad manual but I couldn't find all the icons explained. So I do n't know what flagging or sharing icons look like. I wish they have screen tips like Windows telling me what they do.

There is definitely Internet connection. I can see the word iPad and the signal symbol on the top left corner. No mailbox is displayed at all.

This is what you see, except the first icon (flag):

image-1600138705.jpg

Twerppoet posted it before.
The icon with the arrow pointing down gives you the possibility to move a mail into another mailbox. The trash bin moves the mail into trash. The third icon gives you different possibilities, one of them answering the mail you see. The last icon is for creating a new mail.

OP
H

healer

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank a lot for your help.

What is the first symbol on the left. Is it a flag? How come I don't get it.

Most reactions

Latest posts