What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HOW TO - Save your SHSH Blobs with TinyUmbrella

Chantelle310

iPF Noob
Reaction score
quick question for you experts... ive recently swapped from a laptop to just a tower, i saved all my stuff from my laptop to an external hdd.. is there any way of getting my OLD blobs for my iphone, back onto tiny umbrella on my new tower?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sure!

Well, not necessarily back into Tiny Umbrella but you can put those SHSH blobs into a folder on your new computer.

Then, when/if you need them, you can just point the tools to that folder.

All Tiny Umbrella does is save the blobs and help you offer them up to the JBing tool(s).

So, it doesn't really matter where they are as long as YOU know where they are.

Hope that helps clarify things. If not, holler back and I'll take another shot at it.

Marilyn

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Chantelle310 said:
quick question for you experts... ive recently swapped from a laptop to just a tower, i saved all my stuff from my laptop to an external hdd.. is there any way of getting my OLD blobs for my iphone, back onto tiny umbrella on my new tower?

Yes, you should be able to find them and copy them across. They are just files. Look in TU on the advanced tab. This will tell you where the blobs are on your new PC. The folder is usually hidden so you need to set Explorer to show hidden files & folders. By default it's a folder called ".shsh" in your user home folder.
Then find the comparable folder on your old drive copy. As long as you copied hidden folders across you should be able to find it. Then just copy the blobs across :)

Mopepom

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many thanks to f4870y for a superb tutorial. This was put together with great care and precision. A really professional job.

Last edited:

nammi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am on 3G ipad2 jailbroken at iOS 5.0.1 .. i have saved my blobs 4.3.5, 5.0.1 and 5.1 ... Now i have 5.1.1 listed on my Cydia SHSH iOS list .. But when i tried to update my tiny umbrella, i could not get the 5.1.1 saved to tiny umbrella ,,, (with the iPad connected .. )

Why is that .. ?? .. Do i need to upgrade my iPad to 5.1.1 before i can save the blobs to tiny umbrella ??

Thnx ..

btw : it happened as well when i tried to update my 4s ..

reahn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
you dont need to update to save the blobs. but you dont need the blobs to upgrade. as the 5.1.1 window is wide open

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am on 3G ipad2 jailbroken at iOS 5.0.1 .. i have saved my blobs 4.3.5, 5.0.1 and 5.1 ... Now i have 5.1.1 listed on my Cydia SHSH iOS list .. But when i tried to update my tiny umbrella, i could not get the 5.1.1 saved to tiny umbrella ,,, (with the iPad connected .. )

Why is that .. ?? .. Do i need to upgrade my iPad to 5.1.1 before i can save the blobs to tiny umbrella ??

Thnx ..

btw : it happened as well when i tried to update my 4s ..

Do you have the most recent version of Tiny Umbrella? Because I can't replicate your problem when I run TU. My iOS 5.1.1 blobs are saved by the program. This includes my iPhone 4S that I still have on iOS 5.0.1 (waiting for Cydia to settle down before I upgrade and re-jailbreak).

All I can recommend is to go back to the TU website, re-download the file (current version is 5.11.01) and run it again. Because, as reahn pointed out, jailbreaking and saving blobs are two entirely different processes. You can save blobs without Jailbreaking. In fact, you should download and run TU every time the developer releases a new version. That'll help you keep up-to-date with blob saving.

Marilyn

nammi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
marilyn, you are 100 % correct .. out of date tiny umbrella was the problem .. i got my blobs all saved up for both my ipad and iphone .. a problem solver you are and always so helpful, thank you .. and thank you to rahn for the explanation ..

AngryLTE

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad 3 not showing in Tiny Umbrella

Must be doing something wrong, so guide me? I have Tiny Umbrella v5.11.01 downloaded and running. My ipad3 GSM when connected does not show up in the left column, so clicking save all SHSHs does nothing. I am running Win7.:p

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Must be doing something wrong, so guide me? I have Tiny Umbrella v5.11.01 downloaded and running. My ipad3 GSM when connected does not show up in the left column, so clicking save all SHSHs does nothing. I am running Win7.:p

Does your iPad3 show up in iTunes when you connect it? Again, I can't replicate the problem, so I can only say to (1) make sure you have the most current iTunes and that it can "see" the iPad3 and (2) have the most current version of Tiny Umbrella.

Let me know about the iTunes question...

Marilyn

AngryLTE

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does your iPad3 show up in iTunes when you connect it?

Yes, it does and I have synced it to iTunes.
I am running 10.6.1 version of iTunes.

and (2) have the most current version of Tiny Umbrella.

And for Tiny Umbrella, I am running 5.11.01

In my .shsh\.cache folder, I do have a file called lib-win.jar. Would that contain the blob?

Thank you so much for looking into this. I don't want to JB until my blobs are saved. Can I restore to 5.1.1, if something goes wrong - without the blobs? I did read up on the DFU restore method.

OP
f4780y

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, it does and I have synced it to iTunes.
I am running 10.6.1 version of iTunes.

And for Tiny Umbrella, I am running 5.11.01

In my .shsh\.cache folder, I do have a file called lib-win.jar. Would that contain the blob?

Thank you so much for looking into this. I don't want to JB until my blobs are saved. Can I restore to 5.1.1, if something goes wrong - without the blobs? I did read up on the DFU restore method.

If iTunes sees your device and TU does not then this indicates the problem is with your PC. TU uses the same mechanism as iTunes to connect to your device so it is very unusual for one to see the device and the other to not. Are you running TU as an Administrator account?

Also, don't let this keep you from jailbreaking. Once you jailbreak and start Cydia, your blobs will be automatically saved for 5.1.1 on Cydia's servers. After that, you can worry about getting TU working.

Most reactions

Latest posts