HOW TO - Save your SHSH Blobs with TinyUmbrella

Discussion in 'Jailbreaking & Hacking Tutorials & How-To Guides' started by f4780y, Aug 9, 2011.

1. f4780y

f4780y Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +635 / 0
    Yes, you should be able to find them and copy them across. They are just files. Look in TU on the advanced tab. This will tell you where the blobs are on your new PC. The folder is usually hidden so you need to set Explorer to show hidden files & folders. By default it's a folder called ".shsh" in your user home folder.
    Then find the comparable folder on your old drive copy. As long as you copied hidden folders across you should be able to find it. Then just copy the blobs across :)
  2. Mopepom

Mopepom iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Many thanks to f4870y for a superb tutorial. This was put together with great care and precision. A really professional job.
    Last edited: May 26, 2012
  3. nammi

nammi iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    I am on 3G ipad2 jailbroken at iOS 5.0.1 .. i have saved my blobs 4.3.5, 5.0.1 and 5.1 ... Now i have 5.1.1 listed on my Cydia SHSH iOS list .. But when i tried to update my tiny umbrella, i could not get the 5.1.1 saved to tiny umbrella ,,, (with the iPad connected .. )

Why is that .. ?? .. Do i need to upgrade my iPad to 5.1.1 before i can save the blobs to tiny umbrella ??

Thnx ..

btw : it happened as well when i tried to update my 4s ..
  4. reahn

reahn iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    you dont need to update to save the blobs. but you dont need the blobs to upgrade. as the 5.1.1 window is wide open
  5. Mickey330

Mickey330 Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,959 / 0
    Do you have the most recent version of Tiny Umbrella? Because I can't replicate your problem when I run TU. My iOS 5.1.1 blobs are saved by the program. This includes my iPhone 4S that I still have on iOS 5.0.1 (waiting for Cydia to settle down before I upgrade and re-jailbreak).

All I can recommend is to go back to the TU website, re-download the file (current version is 5.11.01) and run it again. Because, as reahn pointed out, jailbreaking and saving blobs are two entirely different processes. You can save blobs without Jailbreaking. In fact, you should download and run TU every time the developer releases a new version. That'll help you keep up-to-date with blob saving.

Marilyn
  6. nammi

nammi iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    marilyn, you are 100 % correct .. out of date tiny umbrella was the problem .. i got my blobs all saved up for both my ipad and iphone .. a problem solver you are and always so helpful, thank you .. and thank you to rahn for the explanation ..
  7. AngryLTE

AngryLTE iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    iPad 3 not showing in Tiny Umbrella

Must be doing something wrong, so guide me? I have Tiny Umbrella v5.11.01 downloaded and running. My ipad3 GSM when connected does not show up in the left column, so clicking save all SHSHs does nothing. I am running Win7.:p
  8. Mickey330

Mickey330 Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,959 / 0
    Does your iPad3 show up in iTunes when you connect it? Again, I can't replicate the problem, so I can only say to (1) make sure you have the most current iTunes and that it can "see" the iPad3 and (2) have the most current version of Tiny Umbrella.

Let me know about the iTunes question...

Marilyn
  9. AngryLTE

AngryLTE iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes, it does and I have synced it to iTunes.
    I am running 10.6.1 version of iTunes.

And for Tiny Umbrella, I am running 5.11.01

In my .shsh\.cache folder, I do have a file called lib-win.jar. Would that contain the blob?

Thank you so much for looking into this. I don't want to JB until my blobs are saved. Can I restore to 5.1.1, if something goes wrong - without the blobs? I did read up on the DFU restore method.
  10. f4780y

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +635 / 0
    If iTunes sees your device and TU does not then this indicates the problem is with your PC. TU uses the same mechanism as iTunes to connect to your device so it is very unusual for one to see the device and the other to not. Are you running TU as an Administrator account?

Also, don't let this keep you from jailbreaking. Once you jailbreak and start Cydia, your blobs will be automatically saved for 5.1.1 on Cydia's servers. After that, you can worry about getting TU working.
  11. AngryLTE

AngryLTE iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes, running as administrator. Tried again just t make sure. Same issue - iPad 3 doesn't show up in device list on left.
    Thanks for the advice to go ahead and JB
  12. snowbound

snowbound iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Now I am having the same problem as AngryLTE under Windows 7 x64. I rebooted my computer shut down my software firewall, Comodo and TU 5.11.01 does not see my iPad2 5.1.1 yet iTunes does. Ran TU as admin same thing
  13. AngryLTE

AngryLTE iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    For the record (and consistency) I am also x64 in Win 7. I did leave that part out last time.
  14. snowbound

snowbound iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Angry LTE what version of Java are you running. I just upgraded to Java7 Update4 and Add/Remove also shows JavaFX 2.1.0 installed.
  15. snowbound

snowbound iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I tried copying the SQLite3.dll from the Apple subdirectory over to the directory where TU is installed and no diifference. I am seeing the following line in the TU log file... TinyUmbrella[INFO|AWT-EventQueue-0|8:55:00]: Trying to enable TSS... Tried using a new folder on the desktop where TinyUmbrella and SQLite3.dll and now get the following error. Have uninstalled and reinstalled Java 7 update 4 and no difference.

See attached umbrella log file

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  16. AngryLTE

AngryLTE iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My Java Control Panel shows Java 6 Update 21 (build 1.6.0_21-b07). Do you think upgrading Java would help?
  17. f4780y

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +635 / 0
    What anti-virus are you using guys? I would put money on whatever product it is, is blocking TU's access to the system. If your hosts file is being protected (as most AV products do on Windows) then TU just wont work properly. The only way to resolve it is to shut down the offending utilities.

Java is NOT likely to be the problem IMHO.
  18. AngryLTE

AngryLTE iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am using ESET. I thought I disabled the ESET AV, but could be wrong. Will try it again right now and report.
  19. AngryLTE

AngryLTE iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ESET disabled and no difference. Took a screenshot and reduced it, but vBulliten said my post was too long. Basically nothing shows up in the fields in the center nor in the left column list where the device is supposed to be listed.
  20. snowbound

snowbound iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Yesterday I had tried disabling the antivirus and that made no difference. I checked the Hosts file and it is writable. I tried a bunch of things including installing both 32 and 64 bit java but nothing seemed to work. Then this morning I tried it again and TU works fine. I was able to to save the info.

I currently do not have Java 64 bit installed. I also noticed yesterday that if you right mouse click on the TU exe and look at the bottom of the Properties tab it showed "This file came from another computer..". I clicked on the unlock box but that did not make any difference. This morning I did take an update to MS Windows Defender and I am wondering if that was the problem. I also rebooted the computer as well.

Only thing is that now it is showing two iPads under the connected devices list even though the s/n are identical.

I too am using Eset but it was running this morning when TU worked finally.