What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to save when browsing the web.

TracySC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You are all so knowledgeable I thought I would pop back and ask another question (sorry).

When browsing websites I often come across links supplying PDF's for download, when I click on the link it opens the PDF but I don't know how to save it, is there a quick way? (I am currently saving all my PDF's in Ibooks by transferring from my computer to my Ipad)- but this doesn't help when I'm using my Ipad and I come across a PDF I want to save at that point in time..

Any suggestions please?

Thankyou

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You are all so knowledgeable I thought I would pop back and ask another question (sorry).

When browsing websites I often come across links supplying PDF's for download, when I click on the link it opens the PDF but I don't know how to save it, is there a quick way? (I am currently saving all my PDF's in Ibooks by transferring from my computer to my Ipad)- but this doesn't help when I'm using my Ipad and I come across a PDF I want to save at that point in time..

Any suggestions please?

Thankyou

When you at the PDF (the URL address ends in .pdf), you will see the two buttons in the upper right side:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350393946.315158.jpg

If you don't see them, tap the middle of the screen and they should appear (they don't stay in your way while reading, so you have to bring them back).

One of the buttons will be for you to pick you last used PDF reading app (iBooks in this example). The other button is the "Open In..." button so you can select a different PDF app (if you have one loaded on the iPad).

So, give that a try and see how it works?

Marilyn

Redhotpoker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
TracySC said:

Any suggestions please?

Thankyou
Hi,
I'm using both the Adobe PDF Reader and iBooks to store my PDF manuals. They both work, but have a slightly different look, format/layout.
As stated above, you have to activate those Save To buttons to see them.

I actually prefer iBooks, but that's just me..

Chas

OP
T

TracySC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh my goodness thank-you it works, 'wow', why didn't I see that before!

I love it when I learn something new.

I don't suppose there is a way to rename the pdf is there? (on the computer I would right click 'save as') then I rename but this Ipad has it's own way of doing things. I do love Ibooks, though, - its a shame that there is no way to arrange the library list within the collection - it would be so much easier if I could change it alphabetically I find myself going up and down the list continuously.

Thankyou once again Mickey330 & Redhotpoker fan for your help.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Display the library as a list. Tap on the Edit button, and you'll see handles on the right side to rearrange the files.

If I needed to change a file name, I would copy it to my Mac, rename it, and copy it back. Then I'd delete the original. Sometimes, brute force works best... :)

It's hard to imagine why renaming a file is such a struggle on the iPad. A few apps allow it, but only for certain types of files.

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

Redhotpoker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
TracySC said:
Oh my goodness thank-you it works, 'wow', why didn't I see that before!

I love it when I learn something new.

I don't suppose there is a way to rename the pdf is there? (on the computer I would right click 'save as') then I rename but this Ipad has it's own way of doing things. I do love Ibooks, though, - its a shame that there is no way to arrange the library list within the collection - it would be so much easier if I could change it alphabetically I find myself going up and down the list continuously.

Thankyou once again Mickey330 & Redhotpoker fan for your help.

Hi Tracy
To rearrange files in iBooks, just touch and hold down any file or book you wish to move,
it will highlight, and you can simply slide them around on the shelves, in any order you wish, alphabetical or otherwise...

Every PDF file I have are my owners instruction manuals, several have multiple files.
Align T-Rex 700 E V2 3GX Super Combo,
Arris Gateway DVR, x2
hpi 106364, Savage X 4.6 Big Block Special Limited Edition
Parrot AR Drone 2.0, x2
replay XD 1080p camera,
Motif XF8, x4
Spektrum DX3s, x2 & DX6i, x2

Chas

Last edited:
OP
T

TracySC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your guidance but I don't think I explained myself very well -

I have arranged all my PDF's in ibooks into categories ie.. I have Xmas collection, I have Flowers, I have patterns.. I go into each sub heading for the pdf's I'm looking for.
Its the collections that I don't know how to arrange alphabetically not the PDF's themselves (though I did learn something from your post above so thankyou).
So my Xmas collection is in the middle, my patterns is at the top and the Flowers at the bottom.. is there a way to move these around so I can view alphabetically.
I have a pretty big memory on this thing and I intend to hold lots of PDF's on it.. tee hee.....

oh, I so love my Ipad, I take it with me everywhere, have I really only had it for less than two weeks.....

nb.. I heard this week on the news that a new smaller screened one is due for release - (shame they didn't tell us that two weeks ago before we bought this - that way we could have waited and taken a look)

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for your guidance but I don't think I explained myself very well -

I have arranged all my PDF's in ibooks into categories ie.. I have Xmas collection, I have Flowers, I have patterns.. I go into each sub heading for the pdf's I'm looking for.
Its the collections that I don't know how to arrange alphabetically not the PDF's themselves (though I did learn something from your post above so thankyou).
So my Xmas collection is in the middle, my patterns is at the top and the Flowers at the bottom.. is there a way to move these around so I can view alphabetically.

See if this picture will help you in sorting (I used an iPhone as I don't use iBooks on the iPad - but the principle's the same):

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350567087.804090.jpg

Hope that helps. Let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

OP
T

TracySC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh My goodness it worked, it worked, it worked.. yep I'm doing the 'happy dance' can't you tell... thankyou Marilyn so much...

Still one final question to be resolved, when I download to my IPad a file is there a quick way on the Ipad to 'rename' the file? I've read above Lanny C reply about transferring to the computer etc. but surely there is an easy way to do it as you download and save?? (please say there is).... tee hee ... great site by the way such friendly people...

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

kulit_12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is so many applications in the app store for this.. But like what others suggest,, ibooks is very usefull and its free......

Most reactions

Latest posts