1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

How to save music from Dropbox?

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by mobi1, Apr 7, 2011.

1. mobi1

mobi1 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I have some Mp3 files in Dropbox. When I click them they start playing but unlike documents or photos it does not give any option to save it using an app like iPod.

Can I save music without iTunes?
  2. Dorje

Dorje iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    You cannot load them into iTunes or rather the iPod App, don't think of it as iTunes but a software ipod and you'll understand.

You can use Apps like GoodReader and others to download and play from inside those Apps. I'm sorry I can not suggest any 3rd party music players that you could use in place of the iPod app.
  3. Dushtin

Dushtin iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    are you trying to save it on your ipad or desktop?
  4. mobi1

mobi1 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I am trying to save them on iPad so that I can listen to them without internet connection.
  5. j0yful

j0yful iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    though you cannot transfer the mp3 file from dropbox to the ipod app on ipad. you can listen to the songs without wifi by adding them to your "favorites" on dropbox. on dropbox open the mp3 files that you want then hit the star icon above. it will then be added to your favorites. accessible even without internet connection.
  6. mobi1

mobi1 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Wow, that is a great info - didn't know that marking a file as favourite in Dropbox will make them available offline :)
  7. Tom811

Tom811 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    By default dropbox allocates 200mb local storage, but you can adjust this up to 1 gb of local storage.
  8. jjmorgan

jjmorgan iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Typical Apple...

Favourites being available offline is indeed a good tip....

....although the fact that you cant simply import it into your music collection like even the most basic android phone/tablet can is baffling.

Typical of Apple to make a superior product, only to cripple its usability with their control freakery!!

If they dont wise up Apple product will only end up in the hands of poseurs and the computer illiterate, while the rest of us who want our gadget to actually do something useful will buy elsewhere - WTF!

Regards

A frustrated almost ex-Apple addict
  9. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +132 / 0
    Somehow I doubt this.
  10. Shadbloss

Shadbloss iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Playing my CDs?

I'm a new owner. Can I play my CD' on my ipad or only music purchased from the apple store. If so, how do I go about doing it?
  11. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +132 / 0
    Welcome! You need to take out your own thread instead of posting your question here.:)
  12. Shadbloss

Shadbloss iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Howto...

hOW DO YOU USE THIS FORUM? wHAT IS MY OWN THREAD? aNY DIRECTIONS SOMEWHERE?
  13. Shadbloss

Shadbloss iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    THANKS, I'm trying to figure things out.
  14. richsadams

richsadams iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0
    Yes you can import your CD's into iTunes and then onto your iPad. Here is how:

How to Import CD Tracks to iTunes and Sync Your iPod | eHow.com

(Substitue "iPad" where it says "iPod". ;) )

Congrats on becoming a new iPad owner and enjoy!
    Last edited: May 30, 2011
  15. richsadams

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0
    Last edited: May 30, 2011
  16. richsadams

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0
    Yes, having grown to the most valuable company on the planet I have to agree that they are certainly headed in the wrong direction. ;)
  17. jjmorgan

jjmorgan iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ha, not denying Apple are a huge successful business. Their products are excellent and ahead of the curve, but their best trick is convincing their own customers that anyone who criticises any apect of their usage is wrong and should be mocked :)

I love Apple products but not so much that ill jump to Apple inc.s defense every time someone says their product could be better!

Not sure if theyre 'the most valuable company in the world' but they've been overtaken in terms of smartphone sales by android and who's to say tablets wont go the same way in time.

Remember where this rant started?! A clear disadvantage with dropbox in ipad compared to dropbox on android, which you both ignored in your zombie-like defense of the Apple machine! Gonna admit it's sometimes frustrating how Apple manipulate the use of their products rather than being more open??
  18. richsadams

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +99 / 0
    It's certainly not Apple's job to manage customer reactions be it someone singing praises or challenging their products or services. They've developed what was once a cult following into a broad spectrum of loyalists both in the private and enterprise sectors by creating products that exceed anything else in the market and backing them up with some of the highest quality customer service of any company, nothing more, nothing less.

It's unfortunate that there are some that think they can do no wrong because nothing could be further from the truth. They have made mistakes in the past and no doubt will do so in the future. Based on historical data the odds are their mistakes will be smaller and less often than the competition's.

No rational person, Apple fanboy or otherwise, thinks Apple is perfect. Those that make such statements are no different than those that troll forums like this one saying the opposite and simply looking for a reaction.

I stand corrected, second most valuable company in the world as ranked by market capitalization (just behind ExxonMobil):

Market Cap Rankings

With respect to smart phone sales the fact is that up until a couple of months ago the iPhone was only available from one carrier in the U.S. and a very limited number world-wide. Every carrier on the planet has been selling Android based smart phones (hundreds of variations from multiple manufacturers...all with their own spin on how the OS should work) for a while now. The fact that the tens of millions of iPhone's being sold is anywhere near that of the Android's sales says volumes about both products IMO. As more and more carriers are able to offer the iPhone a more level playing field will appear and we'll see how it goes. Frankly I couldn't be more pleased that someone is finally challenging the iPhone...competition is good and the consumer will be the winner!

When it comes to tablets I've had the opportunity to spend some time with everything that's on the market. To a one they all come up being "wannabies". If someone can exceed the iPad's standards that's fine...a better mousetrap and all of that. Again, competition is good.

Some apps are bound to work better than others on different OS's...nature of the beast. I'd like DropBox and some other apps to work better on my iPad as well. Most developers strive to improve their products and prosper, others don't and the marketplace dictates who will succeed.

Our "defense" of Apple had nothing to do with the DropBox post, it was a response to this statement:

Everyone's entitled to their opinion but that seemed so over the top on so many levels. It's those kinds of blanket statements that are going to get "attacked", not the fact that software isn't up to expectations.

Agreed that Apple's "walled garden" approach can be frustrating sometimes. However the fact that they can almost guarantee that all of their products will "just work" based on superior management of the hardware and software hasn't been a mistake by any measure.

Best of luck with your iPad or whatever you end up with!
    Last edited: May 31, 2011
  19. jjmorgan

jjmorgan iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Fair points well made.

Only thing i would say is that i think the difference in the way dropbox operates has little to do with the different OS's, and lots to do with apple wanting an opportunity to cross sell music each time you're forced to use itunes to put songs on your device. And that Apple's motivation to have tight control of the app market is all about profiteering - although i agree that better quality apps is a welcome byproduct.

Both are totally objective points! My iphone 4 will be traded in for a samsung galaxy s2 unless the iphone 5 tips the balance back in apples favour. My ipad isnt going anywhere until the alternatives get a LOT better looking!
  20. chazguitar

chazguitar iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    this is an old discussion, but I am new to iPad. Yes, I agree that it's crippling, as if we haven't spent the last 30 years learning basic file management. Does the Apple architecture presume that the user had better not handle files? I have a collection my own original music in mp3 and wav format, and want to store them on my iPad. I have to figure out the rules that Apple will let me play by.