What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to Reset

Hwbkeys

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On other Apple devices, I've been able to reset the device by simultaneously pushing the power button and the screen button, but I can't do it with the Air2 because of Siri automatically coming on with the bottom button. I turn Siri off, but the Air 2 doesn't reset. Any suggestions?

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
  1. Restart or reset iPad

If something isn’t working right, try restarting iPad, forcing an app to quit, or resetting iPad.

Restart iPad. Hold down the Sleep/Wake button until the slider appears. Slide your finger across the slider to turn off iPad. To turn iPad back on, hold down the Sleep/Wake button until the Apple logo appears.

Reset iPad. Hold down the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button at the same time for at least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

You can reset the word dictionary, network settings, home screen layout, and location warnings. You can also erase all of your content and settings.

(air 2 manual, page 153,4)

OP
H

Hwbkeys

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the prompt reply. That's the problem, I hold down the sleep/wake and home button simultaneously, but the screen goes blank and the logo never appears---it doesn't reset. Also, separately, when I hold down the sleep/wake button, the slider doesn't come on. The screen just stays black.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Once it has shutdown wait 15 seconds and then power up as above. I find the small wait helps me on my air 2. On powering up the logo shoukd then appear. (I don't reset all that often, but it always seems a bit fidly. It would help if it indicated that it was resetting. ) Hope that helps.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just tried mine. I don't think I have reset since 8.4 was installed and mine goes to the sound effects bell symbol if I hold the power button. As with you, the home button and power it just goes to Siri! Strange. Reset seems to have changed.

Hopefully someone else will pop up with the answer.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just realised what I was doing... The power button is on top; I was pressing the volume buttons. Oh dear, how embarrassing!

Pressing power and home for 10 seconds brought up the slider. Once powered off, wait a short while as I mentioned above. Sorry for wrong info

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you see the slider to turn off when trying to reset, you're restarting, not resetting. When you press both buttons simultaneously, as required, the slider won't appear, but the Apple logo. It might need a few seconds, up to 10 or even more, to appear. When you let go of both buttons as soon as you see the logo, the iPad will power up on it's own. It's not necessary to turn it on, using the Power button.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
While 10 seconds should do the trick most people aren't all that good at counting 10 seconds accurately. This is why I always tell them to hold both buttons until the logo appears, which can be quite a bit longer. One less variable to guess at.

Most reactions