What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to reset an iPad and sync 2 iPads on the same computer/itunes?

KimLA

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I currently have an ipad 3 and an ipad 4 in sync with my itunes account on 1 PC. I started using my ipad 4 two weeks ago so the ipad 3 is now just some kind of old backup of my ipad 4.

Now the thing is I would like to give the ipad 3 to my boyfriend. That would be his first idevice so he'll need to create an itunes account. I also would like to do a reset of the device so he'll be able to connect his own emails, facebook, imessage, whatever accounts to this ipad. I would like all my personal datas not to be stored in this ipad anymore.

- How to proceed?

Secondly, we'll then have 2 different ipads with different datas, apps connected and syncing to the very same PC.

- Won't it mess up my files, delete my apps and create sync problems? How to manage 2 devices on one PC/itunes?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings will wipe an iPad clean.

Managing multiple iDevices on one PC isn't a prob.

OP
K

KimLA

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks.

Managing multiple iDevices on one PC isn't a prob.

Each time I'm connecting my ipad to itunes, itunes makes a backup. If 2 different devices are syncing to the same itunes, won't it screw up backups?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KimLA said:
Thanks.

Each time I'm connecting my ipad to itunes, itunes makes a backup. If 2 different devices are syncing to the same itunes, won't it screw up backups?

No, iTunes is quite clever and will differentiate between your devices, just give them different names.

The Archangel

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
And the different names is only so YOU can tell/know the difference. iTunes would be able to know the difference even if they were named exactly the same...

Marilyn

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
They are all right. I have two iPads (2 and 3), and iTunes has never messed them up. :)

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
And the different names is only so YOU can tell/know the difference. iTunes would be able to know the difference even if they were named exactly the same...

Marilyn

Thanks Marilyn, yes, because I have multiple iOS devices connected at the same time on odd occasions I have given each it's own name so that I can identify it but iTunes is way cleverer than I am, it doesn't need those names!

The Archangel

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Most reactions

Latest posts