What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to remove an iCloud account when my ex won't help

Lisa Hall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm at my wits end. Long story short, I got divorced and got the iPad that my ex and I shared.
My apple ID is on it for iTunes but his is on for the iCloud. He refuses to give me his password to remove it so I can't use the device.
I contacted Apple support and they said that since I don't have a receipt for proof of purchase (it was a gift), then I basically can't do anything.
Is there any way I can go around this that you know of?

Thanks!
Lisa

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm at my wits end. Long story short, I got divorced and got the iPad that my ex and I shared.
My apple ID is on it for iTunes but his is on for the iCloud. He refuses to give me his password to remove it so I can't use the device.
I contacted Apple support and they said that since I don't have a receipt for proof of purchase (it was a gift), then I basically can't do anything.
Is there any way I can go around this that you know of?

Thanks!
Lisa
I'm afraid that unless your ex gives you the iCloud ID and password that there's no way to bypass the iCloud Activation Lock. Could you get a court order demanding that he supply the iCloud ID and password?

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok chop off his hands so he can't use a handy how's that better oh and switch off Siri

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You might remind him that as long as the iCloud account is still on your device it's a potential security and privacy risk.

Then send him here, so he can see how to remove your device from his iCloud account wihtout giving you the password.
Turn off Find My iPhone Activation Lock

You'll have to accept that all the apps and content purchased on his account will be gone, but you should end up with a device you can use.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok chop off his hands so he can't use a handy how's that better oh and switch off Siri

OR "Ok chop off his b....." - ;)

BUT for our OP, the most recent article I could find on this topic is HERE - seems like the same old routines - Dave :)

Addendum: nice link TP - hope the suggestion helps!

Most reactions

Latest posts