What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to remote control an IPAD ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrippslarry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Last I checked, and I've been following closely for a while, LogmeIN, nor anyone else I know, do NOT offer GUI remote control of IOS devices. All say its due to Apples restrictions and architecture.. which enforces VERY strict rules about apps talking to other apps.

I find it very misleading that they and several others beat up their limited support for IOS devices to make it SOUND like they have GUI control, like they do for most other devices.

They do offer some good config support etc, but no GUI.

This remains a very major need for IOS devices, both in Enterprise environments, and also in many small personal situations as many have pointed out. I was most frustrated that I could not offer better support for my father during his terminal illness last year when he eventually died of cancer. I was willing to pay a substantial amount for a GUI remote control app to assist him.

rgds .. Peter

Very well put Peter, I could not agree more! Apple needs to get with it and allow iOS devices to be controlled remotely. They are not going to have a lock on tablets for long maintaining the status quo left by Steve Jobs. Enterprise can be huge if they make the right moves.

sdmactech

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Possible solution

Not the exact answer you are looking for, but I feel will be somewhat helpful ....

In my work, I have the need to occasionally help clients with their iPhone or iPad's remotely. If they have a PC or Mac in the same location (On the same network) I can at least see the same screens they do with the following:

Well since I can not link yet .... its called Reflector App and can be found at reflectorappDOTcom

It allows the iPad or iPhone to be mirrored to a PC or Mac on the same network. Then I can use any of the PC/Mac remote control apps to log into their computer, and see their iPad/iPhone screen. I cant actually control the iPad/iPhone, but I can walk them through things and assist them remotely.

Toddcbrf2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree that we need to open up control. I work with 175 field engineers that aren't necessarily computer people but need assistance with getting service documentation to their iPads. The fact is they can't do it by themselves so remote control would be great and am interested if anyone has any info that would help. Of course jail breaking is out o the question

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree that we need to open up control. I work with 175 field engineers that aren't necessarily computer people but need assistance with getting service documentation to their iPads. The fact is they can't do it by themselves so remote control would be great and am interested if anyone has any info that would help. Of course jail breaking is out o the question

It's unfortunate that jailbreaking is out of the question because the type of control you want is not available in a non-jailbroken iPad.

ipad_fan1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
remote assistance for elderly mother

i am also suprised that someone would ask, "Why?" My case is the same as several others who posted about the elderly person in need of remote assistance with ipad.

I moved to china and my elderly mother still lives back home in the u.s. she bought an ipad so that we can do video chats on skype and keep in touch better. but, she doesn't really know how to use the ipad. it is very difficult for me to try to explain to her what to do over the phone. so, it would just be so simple for me if i could remotely control her ipad for her to perform simple tasks such as installing apps for her and whatnot.

is that so very hard to understand?

ipad_fan1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
teamviewer limitations

teamviewer just add the www and com to go to website

Covers just about all platforms. And it is free for non commercial use.

~ Shawn

Adding a little to what danlaw77 already said in post#44 ( i cannot post the link, newbie, sorry), the TeamViewer iPad app will let you remotely control a PC from an iPad. But, not the other way around.

I also just got off the phone with TeamViewer, and the person told me that if this feature (remotely controlling the iPad from a PC) is desired, then, they need our help. They need for more customers/users like us to contact Apple and request this feature. So, if anyone else out there wants this feature, please contact apple.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
. . .I also just got off the phone with TeamViewer, and the person told me that if this feature (remotely controlling the iPad from a PC) is desired, then, they need our help. They need for more customers/users like us to contact Apple and request this feature. So, if anyone else out there wants this feature, please contact apple.

This might be of use here.
Apple - iPad - Feedback

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thank you,this link was very helpful- I would have put off sending a comment to apple had you not made it so eay!

Not a problem.

Personally, I'm not interested in the feature. I think it will add extra complexity to iOS and a greater potential for security holes; but I'm willing to be out voted. :)

Blue92

iPF Novice
Reaction score
As someone that did user support to more than 100 locations throughout the state I'd shudder if I had to support iPads remotely.

ipad_fan1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you,this link was very helpful- I would have put off sending a comment to apple had you not made it so eay!

the same with me, i also would have put it off if not for very helpful link from twerppoet. kudos for doing that!

[h=3]Thank you for your feedback on the iPad.[/h] We cannot respond to you personally, but please know that your message has been received and will be reviewed by the iPad Team. If we need to follow up with you on your ideas for improving the iPad, we will contact you directly.
We appreciate your assistance in making the iPad great.
iPad Team
Apple

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The Reflector app for OS X will let you AirPlay your iPad's screen to the Mac. This is not remote control of the iPad. It's just a display, same as you can do with an Apple TV.

There is another app like Reflector, but I can't remember the name.

luisferceb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As a teacher, I want to show my students simulations and class notes I have in my Ipad, and then connect the pc to the projector. I know AppleTV can do it, but I want to know if there is an app that could do it without using Apple TV. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts