What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to recover deleted emails going back 12months

Slage

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I deleted my emails about 3 months ago. I just found out I need one of the emails from last July, 2013.. Can I retrieve it somehow? It's a matter that's going to cost me about 4 grand if I don't come up with it. My stupidity. Slage

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Afaik most email accounts automatically remove emails from Trash after some time. I suppose it won't be possible to retrieve one of these, if you can't find it in the Trash folder any more. 3 months is too long ago.

You could try to access the account through a browser, if possible, amd try to find it there.

Another possibility would be to find an iTunes backup where these emails were still on your iPad - so at least 3 months old.

Maybe there's data recovery software which could help you retrieve them. Try to search for "iPad data recovery" or "iPad email recovery".

Hope that helps.

Oh, and btw: welcome to iPF! :)

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It is going to depend on your email provider. Some, like Google, tend to keep everything pretty much for ever, unless you go out of your way to delete it. Other's, as Johanna said, automatically delete older emails. And some are in-betweenish.

Let us know who your provider is, and 'maybe' we can help.

OP
S

Slage

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is going to depend on your email provider. Some, like Google, tend to keep everything pretty much for ever, unless you go out of your way to delete it. Other's, as Johanna said, automatically delete older emails. And some are in-betweenish.

Let us know who your provider is, and 'maybe' we can help.
Thanks for responding. Google is my email provider. Slage

OP
S

Slage

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for responding. Google is my email provider. I'm fairly new at all of this and I certainly appreciate any help.
Thanks, Slage

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Unless you deliberately removed it, your email is probably still in the Archive folder.

To get to the Archive folder on the iPad, tap the Mailbox button at the top left of the email list until you see the Inboxes and the Accounts list (below the inbox list). Select your Google account, and the Archive folder should be there.

When you scroll to the bottom of the list older emails should be loaded. Since you need to go back over a year, that's a lot of scrolling. Better would be to use the Search at the top o f the email list and see if you can find it that way.

If the iPad is too much trouble, try going to your Google account in a browser on a computer. The Archive folder is there as well, and should be searchable. It's called the All Mail folder.

Good luck.

OP
S

Slage

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for responding. Google is my email provider. I'm fairly new at all of this and I certainly appreciate any help.
Thanks, Slage
Unless you deliberately removed it, your email is probably still in the Archive folder.

To get to the Archive folder on the iPad, tap the Mailbox button at the top left of the email list until you see the Inboxes and the Accounts list (below the inbox list). Select your Google account, and the Archive folder should be there.

When you scroll to the bottom of the list older emails should be loaded. Since you need to go back over a year, that's a lot of scrolling. Better would be to use the Search at the top o f the email list and see if you can find it that way.

If the iPad is too much trouble, try going to your Google account in a browser on a computer. The Archive folder is there as well, and should be searchable. It's called the All Mail folder.

Good luck.

OP
S

Slage

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I looked all thru the All Mail file and didn't find what I needed. Would that email still be listed in there if I deleted it already? I think I' running out of opt ions. Any more ideas?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you removed it from the Inbox, it should be in Trash/Bin, not in the archive.

Use the Search function, as suggested by twerppoet.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, when you go to the Trash folder in Google Mail (on the web), the top line reads "[M]essages that have been in Trash more than 30 days will be automatically deleted."

I then scrolled through my trash folder and yep, no mail earlier than July 20th.

Sorry, but if you put the mail in Trash and not Archive, it's gone.

Marilyn

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Strange. My All Mail folder goes back to May 2013. When, if I remember correctly, I took the time to delete everything from trash, and then had to do it all over again in All Mail (the archive).

Then again, I've never accused Google Mail of being predictable. It never seems to do exactly what i expect, especialy when using it from an Apple app.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Strange. My All Mail folder goes back to May 2013. When, if I remember correctly, I took the time to delete everything from trash, and then had to do it all over again in All Mail (the archive).

Then again, I've never accused Google Mail of being predictable. It never seems to do exactly what i expect, especialy when using it from an Apple app.
Emails that were deleted (But still are in the Bin) don't appear in All Mail, as well as emails from the Spam folder.

Most reactions

Latest posts