What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How To: Put your iPad into Recovery Mode

Walker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can someone help please, I has followed steps and videos on youtube but I do not get a pop up on itunes to allow me to restore. I cant seem to boot tethered boot via red snow either and all I get when I plus ipad into computer is '3 beeps'

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would like to echo the thanks others have offered to MK1151---and also to Kizard for his add-on---for outlining the procedure.

I never intend to jailbreak my iPad, but it's nice to have a procedure for recovering if something else crashes it. I have been feeling kinda' defenseless with the iPad (versus my Win machine) since there didn't seem to be any way of recovering.

I have printed out the procedure and the mod and filed them for future reference.

Thanks again!

msjaneoly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What if it doesn't work

What shall I do if it won't go into recovery mode.
Instead it just says can't activate on the itunes screen.
and need to go to developer to register.

I can't now get my udid id!! Help anybody!!
Thanks

buckeyewildcat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks - you're a lifesaver

Hi Kizard. Your instructions on the recovery helped me so much! Thanks for taking the time to put the details out there for us. :)

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Recovery Mode Update

I'm not sure when it changed, possibly with the upgrade to iOS 5, but to put the iPad into Recovery Mode the steps are slightly different than in the OP for this thread. Here are the steps as of today...
  1. Connect iPad to your computer via USB while it's turned on.
  2. Open iTunes
  3. Hold the iPad's Sleep/Wake switch (power button on the top of the iPad) down until the "power off" slider appears.
  4. Power off the iPad completely (wait for the progress spinner to disappear).
  5. Hold the Sleep/Wake switch AND the Home button down for a full 10 seconds.
  6. After 10 seconds (the second time you'll see the Apple logo on the screen) release the Sleep/Wake switch while still holding the Home button.
  7. Continue to hold the Home button for another 10 seconds until the USB connection image appears on the iPad's screen, then release the Home button.
  8. A pop-up message will appear on iTunes saying it has detected an iPad in recovery mode, you must restore...
  9. Click on the "Restore" button and the process will begin.
The process is the same as the first post on this thread thereafter.

Sarito77

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have made the steps untill it showed me a USB cable arrow and itunes, but no message appeared. What am I supposed to do do now?

MB50

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've done it, I would unplug from your computer and plug it back in, it should detect you iPad and since your iPad in in recovery you will be prompted , basically you won't be able to do any thing else until you go through the prompts in ITunes on your computer.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

terrypin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
- if you had previously backed up your iPad, iTunes will tell you there is a backup and ask if you would like it restored. If you wish to do this, accept the prompt. This will also take some time. Note it will NOT put your apps, music, movies, TV shows, etc back on your iPad, just your settings and preferences.

I had to do this yesterday and thankfully my 116 apps were restored.

The only thing I noticed it doesn't retain is the page layouts for your apps

That too was restored in my case, all apps in their correct folders.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Most reactions

Latest posts