What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how to perform a real full reset to iPAD ?

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know I know.
Every one will jump here and tell me:
- to hold the power for 3 sec,
- then hold home for 12 sec,
- release the power button,
- and wait for the Apple icon.
True it takes few minutes, and the iPad is being reset. (leave the iPad alone , and come back after 10 minutes)
But..
when checking the "open" app's by pushing twice the Home button, you can still see those applications that were open prior to the full reset.
So my Question is, what reset would clean also those "open" applications, as well.

B.T.W
I performed this reset, since I had an Application that didn't want to run, even after removing an re-Installing it time and again.
After the reset, it started to run properly.
Last time I performed a full reset was probably 3 month ago..

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For those that follow...simply restarting the iPad can fix most issues. Hold down the power switch (outside edge) by itself until the red slider appears. Turn it off by sliding the switch and then hold down the power switch again until the Apple logo appears.

Resetting the iPad should be reserved for a non-responsive unit as it addresses other activity. Hold down the power and home buttons until the slider appears and shut it down. Hold down the power switch again until the Apple logo appears. Fully booting up from a reset will take a little longer than a restart.

Restoring an iPad to a previous backup or factory settings would cause any open apps to be closed upon restart.

Glad things are working normally again though. :thumbs:

More here:

iPhone, iPad, iPod touch: Turning off and on (restarting) and resetting

Last edited:
OP
peled

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You are referring to a soft Reset, in which most certainly, all background applications will stay.
I am referring to a Full Hard Reset.
I challenge every one to open 10 Applications.
Perform A full Hard Reset as I described in my post
and report the status of these "open" applications.
Let us know if they really disappeared or maybe they are still there.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You are correct, the open apps remain open after a reset. They would not remain open after a restore. I got my "R's" mixed up. I've updated my post.

OP
peled

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seems that an iPAD RESET, is not like a PC reset.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hold in mind that the "open" apps may or may not be open. That list is endless and can easily contain every app on the iPad. A little common sense suggests that they can't all be open. My experiments show that even the iPad 2 with it's 512MB of RAM can only hold 15-20 apps. The iPad 1 only kept 6-7 in RAM.

The app's saved state however, that might be kept for everish I suppose. Not that all apps save their run state.

Only closing them manually or a Restore will get rid of that, as far as I"m aware.

BTW, Mac OS X Lion has a similar tendance to save app states (and more), though you can choose not to remember what files were open when you restart. I often find my self amazed by the number of windows I forgot to close before I quite an app or shut down the computer. It feels surreal to see my last setup each time I restart or open a program.

I think the biggest annoyance is that the multitask bar gives you no hints as to what apps are in RAM, state saved, or nothing more than aliases. Most of the time it doesn't matter, but even then it would be nice to know.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
What is this "Mac restart" of which you speak? ;)

Sometimes, just because I feel like it, I turn my iMac off at night.

And iTunes has been crashing my iMac lately, only when downloading. And I mean crash, though a polite one. A gray semi-transparent curtain descends slowly over the screen, then a polite bit of text tells me that I need to shut my iMac down and restart. Started happening right after I upgraded to Lion. Took me weeks of crashes to isolate the cause. I tend to leave iTunes running in the background a lot, so I can double check that I'm posting correct info mostly.

I just downloaded the latest iTunes update, and I"m hoping that is the end of it.

And yes, Peled, this is certainly a point for your side in the "iTunes is bad" argument. ;)

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sometimes, just because I feel like it, I turn my iMac off at night.

And iTunes has been crashing my iMac lately, only when downloading. And I mean crash, though a polite one. A gray semi-transparent curtain descends slowly over the screen, then a polite bit of text tells me that I need to shut my iMac down and restart. Started happening right after I upgraded to Lion. Took me weeks of crashes to isolate the cause. I tend to leave iTunes running in the background a lot, so I can double check that I'm posting correct info mostly.

I just downloaded the latest iTunes update, and I"m hoping that is the end of it.
Interesting. No iTunes/Lion problems here. Safari has required a few force-quits however. :mad:

Sometimes I get in a contest with myself to see how many months I can go without rebooting. I'm not sure what the grand prize is though. :D

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Interesting. No iTunes/Lion problems here. Safari has required a few force-quits however. :mad:

Sometimes I get in a contest with myself to see how many months I can go without rebooting. I'm not sure what the grand prize is though. :D

I looked around and couldn't find it mentioned online, so I figure it is not wide spread. Might just be a few corrupted bits in my installation and fixable by reinstalling. Or maybe I should scan for permission problems on my hard drive. Hmm, I think I'll do that soon. Since it's downloads, that's a strong possibility.

Safari has been working without a hitch here. Then again, I haven't run for more that a week at at time without shutting down, not since Lion anyway. I never bothered to count with Snow Leopard, but crashes were a once, maybe twice a year event with it. I'm sure Lion will be just as stable after an update or two.

As for your prize, I suppose you could always give your self (and computer) a gift card for the Mac App Store. :)

And that's probably further off topic than I should be drifting, not that I can think of anything to add to Peled's question/answer.

OP
peled

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
........ I think the biggest annoyance is that the multitask bar gives you no hints as to what apps are in RAM, state saved, or nothing more than aliases. Most of the time it doesn't matter, but even then it would be nice to know.
very good observation. You know that I know that the iPAD, is not multitasking machine. So the bar is giving just a hint of what application , has been stopped . Since as you mentioned , you never know if the "sleeping" application is using up RAM, I use to clean the memory at least twice a day with the SBSetting application.
Regarding my opinion on iTunes. Your are correct...stil don't LIKE it

Think before you Sync

Most reactions

Latest posts