What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to organize by subject?

Escadajr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi! I'm new to iPad (in fact, it's my first Apple device) and haven't found yet a way to organize my data by subject. For example, I have a lot of things about guitar: videos, documents, images, mp3... How can I put all this together for an integrated access?

By far, I have music sheets in iGuitar app, musics in iPod app, videos in the iMovie app, books in iBook app... Mixed with all other subject files. I would love to be able to put all my guitar files in a place name "Guitar", no matter the file type, and just open them as I needed.

A few Explorer-like apps promise to do this (Berokyo, for example), but they just have an "Open In" option that copies the file to the corresponding app space. This is not so clever, it doubles the used space and takes a long time for videos. Some apps copy the same file every time you ask to open it, making several copies of the same thing. And not all file types are handled, even if the corresponding app is installed.

Any suggestion? Thanks!

Reaction score
Escadajr said:
Hi! I'm new to iPad (in fact, it's my first Apple device) and haven't found yet a way to organize my data by subject. For example, I have a lot of things about guitar: videos, documents, images, mp3... How can I put all this together for an integrated access?

By far, I have music sheets in iGuitar app, musics in iPod app, videos in the iMovie app, books in iBook app... Mixed with all other subject files. I would love to be able to put all my guitar files in a place name "Guitar", no matter the file type, and just open them as I needed.

A few Explorer-like apps promise to do this (Berokyo, for example), but they just have an "Open In" option that copies the file to the corresponding app space. This is not so clever, it doubles the used space and takes a long time for videos. Some apps copy the same file every time you ask to open it, making several copies of the same thing. And not all file types are handled, even if the corresponding app is installed.

Any suggestion? Thanks!

That is now how the iPad works. There is no real explorer-style organization, as you already found, all apps opening a file copy it into their own folder.

There is only one work-around and that is to get multiple apps for the same task.

For example you make a Guitar folder and place apps in there, which can open all guitar related documents, PDF reader, etc.
Then you create another folder Travels and place all apps related to travels in there, so perhaps another PDF reader, a different one.

There OS no other way, it is just not how iOS works.

OP
E

Escadajr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I see. As you can imagine, I already organized my apps into folders and I'm getting used to it. iOS is an application-oriented OS, not data-oriented as others, so newbies like me need extra time to be comfortable with it's characteristics. It's not so hard :) and one can easily fall in love for these outstanding devices. Thanks!

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yup we have to throw off our computer conditioning :)

It's easier than you think.

Most reactions

Latest posts