What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to mix iPad3 and Samba on OS level?

Antsu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Background: 64gb wifi+3g iPad3 running jailbroken iOS 5.1.1. Samba-cores + Samba (3.5.15) have been installed from Cydia.
I have installed same files to iPhone4 (jb 5.1.1) and work like a dream. Just like any pc would on same workgroup.

Problem: when I try to start smbd and nmbd they kinda try to start but they dont run?
Code:
iPad:~ root# locate nmbd
/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.samba.nmbd.plist
/private/var/stash/samba.0g11vS/sbin/nmbd
 /usr/sbin/nmbd
iPad:~ root# smbstatus
Killed: 9
iPad:~ root#
 <dict>
        <key>Label</key>                           
        <string>org.samba.nmbd</string>                                
        <key>ProgramArguments</key>                                    
        <array>                                           
                     <string>/usr/sbin/nmbd</string>  
                     <string>-F</string>                         
       </array>                        
       <key>KeepAlive</key>                            
       <dict>                                             
                    <key>NetworkState</key>        
                    <true/>                                       
        </dict>                                                
</dict>                                                        
</plist>                                                       
iPad:~ root

smbd in same dirs. I added the .plist if gives anyone a clue.

I have tried experimenting with smb.conf. Here is the one that works in iPhone4:

Code:
[global]
workgroup = KOTI
debug level = 0
log level = 0
; listen to WiFi networks only
interfaces = en0
bind interfaces only = yes
local master = no
map archive = no
map hidden = no
load printers = no
; disable the next line if you don't need MAC OS X GUI access
unix extensions = no
security = user
hosts allow = 10.0.0.0/24
;passdb backend = smbpasswd
wins support = No
domain logons = No
;domain master = No
;usershare allow guests = No

[root]
comment = iPhone-root
path = /
read only = no
writeable = yes
browsable = yes
create mode = 775
directory mode = 775
inherit acls = yes

[mobile]
comment = iPhone-Mobiili hakemisto
path = /var/mobile
read only = no
writeable = yes
browsable = yes
create mode = 775
directory mode = 775
inherit acls = yes

Logging is off on that iPhone .conf as it works. I tried to log in iPad but didnt get anything usefull.

I have been trying to solve this for 2 weeks now. I dont know iPad that well as only used it for 6 weeks. Iphone lil longer (since 3gs) so know it better. What am I missing or not noticing? Probably some too simple thing as works in iPhone.

And please, dont tell me to use TIOD or some stupido app that were mentioned in posts here. Some dropboxes and iclouds outta question too. I have 15+Tb RAID-5 on my server (i7 2600k @ 4200mhz 16Gbram) which I need axx to. On the road I can grab via ssh singular files but would like to 'pack' iPad ready to days work via smb as then can just easily drag n drop needed files. I also need to move files between iDevices. But thats a different story.

Any idea or solutition would be greatly appriciated. Even a small clue.

One question arrises: i do have some theming and apps from iPhone 4. Would someting from there conflict?

Last edited:

joeyteel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had a similar issue not too long ago. It turned out to be a code signing issue. I had to sign all the samba binaries with ldid to get it to run. You may want to try that and see if it helps.

OP
A

Antsu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Now you got me totally lost! What does signing a binary mean an how to do it? Googled it and got me even more lost Please advice

OP
A

Antsu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looks you was right. Installed syslogd and finally got error message to work on.

Code:
Sep 20 18:14:02 iPad com.apple.launchd[1] (org.samba.nmbd[7773]): (org.samba.nmbd) Exited: Killed: 9                                                                     
Sep 20 18:14:02 iPad com.apple.launchd[1] (org.samba.nmbd): (org.samba.nmbd) Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds                                                 
Sep 20 18:14:02 iPad kernel[0]: AMFI: hook..execve() killing pid 7774: no code signature                                                                                  
Sep 20 18:14:02 iPad kernel[0]: AMFI: hook..execve() killing pid 7773: no code signature

So how to get thse binaries code signature? Could someone give me a clue?

OP
A

Antsu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Antsu said:
Looks you was right. Installed syslogd and finally got error message to work on.

Sep 20 18:14:02 iPad com.apple.launchd[1] (org.samba.nmbd[7773]): (org.samba.nmbd) Exited: Killed: 9
Sep 20 18:14:02 iPad com.apple.launchd[1] (org.samba.nmbd): (org.samba.nmbd) Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds
Sep 20 18:14:02 iPad kernel[0]: AMFI: hook..execve() killing pid 7774: no code signature
Sep 20 18:14:02 iPad kernel[0]: AMFI: hook..execve() killing pid 7773: no code signature

So how to get thse binaries code signature? Could someone give me a clue?

Why would one need to start signing apps that are grabbed from Cydia? Aint the ppl that make these supposed to sign them also? It does say in samba and samba-coes that they are signed. So is it then just the iPad?

Most reactions