How to maintain ipad (3rd) battrey LIFE SPAN

Discussion in 'iPad 3 Forum' started by tsmrg, May 15, 2013.

1. Gabriel1

Gabriel1
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Thanks Received:
    I feel so bad but.....I'm going to have to disagree again lol!

If you read point 3 in your post it confirms what Apple are saying. The battery in an iPad is controlled by it's on board circuitry and what is a complete discharge to us may still have a few % of charge remaining (an analogy to this is running your motorbike fuel tank to empty, is that a complete discharge or is a complete discharge when you have run it to empty then flicked the valve to the reserve tank and then run that to empty?). So a complete discharge to calibrate the battery does not necessarily mean that there is zero charge in the battery. Therefore, a complete discharge once a month seems for calibration purposes only is accepted by both Apple in my links and and your quoted article.

The Archangel

2. The OB

The OB
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Well as an old biker I can certainly relate to that reserve fuel tank.;)
    Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. Gabriel1

Gabriel1
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Lol.....that was my thinking......I'd be surprised if we hadn't both had to flip that switch on the odd occasion!

The Archangel

4. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    I've been committing the same kind of battery abuse on iPad 4 as I did on iPad 1 and 2, so we'll see how things go. I've noticed no difference so far, except the battery taking longer to charge, which is as spec'd.

The point about completely draining the battery isn't possible since the battery is built to shut down before it's drained. The reserve 1 or 2 percent will hold you fine till you plug in again to charge.

What I've noticed about battery warnings is guidance is closer to paranoid than not, probably so users won't come crying to manufacturers in case of variance. I've had two netbooks from Lenovo for instance that I've not used for more than three years (since iPad debut). I recently charged them both up to see whether they were still alive despite having gone three years+ without charges. They charged up just fine and are holding charges. They might not be up to out-of-box condition (I don't know those specs), but if I followed standard battery guidance, both of them should be dead after three years of neglect. And that's just not the case.

5. Dagwood

Dagwood
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I appreciate all the replies and suggestions re use and abuse of the battery. I've learnt a lot from you guys,especially not to worry about when and how often my iPad needs charging.
    Not sure where I got the 10% from, probably reading too much of Aesop's works!
    Thanks again
    Dagwood