What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to hide Safari's toolbar and address bar in iPad web app?

Schniggen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I wonder how to hide the toolbar and address bar that shows when launching a iPad web app on the iPad? My web app works well on the iPad testing via Dashcode/MobileMe; rotation as well. I also have the icon saved on the iPad screen (a simple "Save to my Home Screen").

Thank you. Much appreciated. :)

Frank

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not possible I believe...but with the atomic web browser app which supports gestures...you can use a 3finger tap to hide the tool/address bar.

Ohhh and welcome to the forums...

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've seen web apps that do this, but it is something that happens when the app adds itself to the iPad's home screen when you purchase/add it to the home screen from a web app store. It must be part of the app's coding, because the user can't remove the address/tool bar. Only the Bookmarks bar can be hidden.

OP
S

Schniggen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The answer is:

<meta name="apple-mobile-web-app-capable" content="yes">

Thank you for replying.

arbor53

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can someone ban this dude or something, trying to sell me a video on how to use my ipad ( never mind, I see his / her posts are gone now )

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can someone ban this dude or something, trying to sell me a video on how to use my ipad ( never mind, I see his / her posts are gone now )

I reported the idiot and Tim toasted all his posts and banned him. You can report spam by clicking the icon next to the person icon on the lower-right of each post. It's quicker than hoping a moderator sees your post on a thread.

Gauravkumar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
<meta name="apple-mobile-web-app-capable" content="yes">

This meta tag is not working properly for hidding the address bar in I pad Please help me .

Thanks in advance

sdebois

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On iPad, the only way to get rid of the address bar is by adding an icon to the Home Screen and launching the app from the icon
On iPhone, the tag <meta name="apple-mobile-web-app-capable" content="yes"> used to work up to iOS6 to hide the address bar, but as from iOS7 this is no more working (probably done intentionally by Apple)

Most reactions