How to hide bookmark bar at left side of screen?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions - Site Assistance' started by Ed1944, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Ed1944

Ed1944
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    When I’m on a site, using Safari browser, how do I hide the bookmark list that takes up about 1/3 of the screen on the left side? I tried swiping to the left to no avail. Thanks for the help. Ed

sorry for all the questions I have on this forum, but this old Windows user is gradually learning. Thanks for all your patience. Ed

#1 Ed1944, Jul 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  2. Aerofly

Aerofly
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Above the bookmark list on the left side is a small book symbol highlighted in blue. Click on this and the bookmarks list will close.

3. Ed1944

Ed1944
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I tried that, and it does nothing.

4. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Well, the correct solution was given previously - below is my Bookmarks etc. open - pressing the blue icon makes the column disappear - suggest 'force closing' the Safari app, then reopening to see if the function now works; if not, reset your iPad and try again. Dave

IMG_0958.PNG

5. Ed1944

Ed1944
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for your help. How do you force close Safari?

6. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    See below (LINK) - you simply need to enter the 'App Switcher' screen by the first step below - then find the Safari icon - press and hold the icon and swipe upward - should disappear - next reopen Safari.

Also, if you have not downloaded Apple's free guide to iPadOS 13.5 (assume that is your iPadOS?), then visit the Books app and search for the guide, download, and do some reading - many of your questions are explained there. Dave

Screen Shot 2020-07-01 at 5.34.54 PM.png

7. Ed1944

Ed1944
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Well, I went ahead And reset the iPad and the bookmark bar still won’t disappear. I’m not going to pursue the situation any more. The app is still useable, and I noticed that when playing a video Full screen the bookmark bar is covered over. Anyhow, I want to thank the forum members that have provided assistance. Slowly but surely I’m learning.

8. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Hi again Ed - let me give this another try relative to 'Force Closing' Safari - see pic below - place your finger at the bottom of the screen, then drag to the middle and release - the 'App Switcher' screen should appear showing icons of all of your 'Open Apps' - find the Safari icon (mine was at the top right) - place finger on the Safari icon, hold and drag off the top - the icon should disappear and Safari has been 'forced closed' - then try to re-open the app and test the sidebar - AGAIN, please download the guide as described in my previous post. Dave

IMG_0982.PNG

Attached Files:

9. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    When tapping the bookmark icon, make sure you are tapping the one in the main tool bar, not the one inside the sidebar. The sidebar is persistent in two separate views. You can disable it in the Favorites view (all tabs closed) and still see it when viewing a website, or vice-versa. To make it disappear completely you have to unselect in in both views.

10. Ed1944

Ed1944
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Girardman: I tried your suggestion, but sidebar remains,

Twerpoet: I don’t understand where the main toolbar is.

Thanks, both of you, for your continued assistance.