What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to get QuickVoice files from MacBook back onto iPad??

Alavida

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I did an encrypted backup of my iPad 2, it generated a folder on my MacBook of QuickVoice Recordings - yay! However, they are CAF files and I have been unable to convert them to mp3 or any other format I can listen to on my computer.

In the meantime, my iPad screen shattered, and I replaced it with a new iPad 2. I synced it to my MacBook, and the QuickVoice app is there, but none of the recordings.

How can I get those files back into QuickVoice on my new iPad, so I can listen to them? I have crucial material there I really need to recover.

If anyone has actually used an application (preferably freeware) that successfully converted CAF files to a more common format, please let me know! I've downloaded several that claim to do the job, but then declare CAF an invalid file format....

THANKS much for any and all help!!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Things to try.

Email the QuickVoice file to yourself. On the iPad in Mail tap and hold the attachment to see if you get the option to open the attachment in QuickVoice.

You can also try putting the file in DropBox and seeing if you can get Open In to QuickVoice from there, if it is more convenient. If it works in one app, it should work in the other.

Try the the File Sharing option in iTunes on the computer: iOS: About File Sharing

Go to the developer's support page (should be linked in the App Store) and ask them.

That's all the ideas I have; other than looking for that conversion program; which you are already doing.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Take a look at the free program "Audacity." I use it on my Windows PC, but I see there's a version for Apple computers.

I was able to open a random .caf file (from my iPad) with Audacity and it played. Then, in Audacity, if you choose File > Export, you can pick which file type to export the file to. I chose .aiff ("AIFF (Apple) signed 16 bit PCM" is what it reads in the Audacity export menu) and so created the file on my PC desktop. See this for what I mean:

e9asy4ah.jpg

Agin, I did this on a Microsoft PC. But I should think it'll work just as well on a Mac.

Marilyn

P.S. And for general whatevers, Audacity is an awesome program for messing about with music files!!! :)

OP
A

Alavida

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Things to try.

Email the QuickVoice file to yourself. On the iPad in Mail tap and hold the attachment to see if you get the option to open the attachment in QuickVoice.

You can also try putting the file in DropBox and seeing if you can get Open In to QuickVoice from there, if it is more convenient. If it works in one app, it should work in the other.

Try the the File Sharing option in iTunes on the computer: iOS: About File Sharing

Go to the developer's support page (should be linked in the App Store) and ask them.

That's all the ideas I have; other than looking for that conversion program; which you are already doing.

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your ideas. I tried each of them. So far, no luck. I don't understand why the CAF files won't play in QuickTime?

Anyway, thanks again!!!!

OP
A

Alavida

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Take a look at the free program "Audacity." I use it on my Windows PC, but I see there's a version for Apple computers.

I was able to open a random .caf file (from my iPad) with Audacity and it played. Then, in Audacity, if you choose File > Export, you can pick which file type to export the file to. I chose .aiff ("AIFF (Apple) signed 16 bit PCM" is what it reads in the Audacity export menu) and so created the file on my PC desktop. See this for what I mean:

e9asy4ah.jpg

Agin, I did this on a Microsoft PC. But I should think it'll work just as well on a Mac.

Marilyn

P.S. And for general whatevers, Audacity is an awesome program for messing about with music files!!! :)

Thanks so much for taking the time to share this idea. I have a Mac, and actually use Audacity a lot -- had not thought of it for this! I don't know why using it to convert the CAF files doesn't work on my MacBook :( I tried playing CAF file in Audacity, and the only way I could get it to load was as RAW file, and then it just was bad static...

OP
A

Alavida

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks again everyone for your help. I wanted to let you know I paid a visit to Apple today, and they helped me sort this out. I was able to access my encrypted backup, and somehow that put the CAF files back in to the QuickVoice app on my iPad. I also learned where Notes are stored, so got those back, too. Hallelujah! I had pretty much given up, especially on the latter.

Thanks again!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yay! Glad to hear that things got sorted for you. And, thanks for coming back and telling us your problem got resolved. Always nice to hear back - especially the success stories. :)

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts