What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to free more memory space for my 16G iPad

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulyeo11

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All

I hope some one can tell me what app allow me to get more disk space for my iPad.

So that I can download to delete those file which are large .

Paul

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well, you can either delete apps (which will also delete all their data), or you can go through apps that have a lot of data, and delete files, or you can choose to sync fewer files through iTunes (especially videos).

Thats about it.

The memory will (usually) clean itself up, if not immediately then after a restart or sync. The one exception to this is the Other category listed in iTunes. This has been known to be a bit stubborn at times, but usually multiple syncs and/or restarts reduce it to more manageable levels. Up to half a GB is not an unusual amount of Other.

TheBigCheese

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think there is an app that will get you more space on a non-jailbroken phone.

Here is what I did:

While connected to my computer I used iTunes to tell me which apps used the most space and deleted those I did not use.

I discovered by accident that if I had iTunes reset my iPad and reload it, I recovered over 6 GB of space without losing anything. Just make sure the backup completes without error before doing this!

OP
P

paulyeo11

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All

Thank for both advise, I will try every to squeeze out more space.

By the way my iPad is JB, am I allow to ask what app can help me ?

Paul

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sure you are free to ask. Jailbreaking is perfectly legal, and all the apps in it's officiallish store (Cydia) are just as legal.

Though you may have better luck asking about available apps over in the Hacking area. I don't know enough about it myself to give you an answer.

If you take a browse through the Forum Rules you'll find what is not allowed.

OP
P

paulyeo11

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi sir,

I have 2 questions about Itune :-

1. Itune show me Other occupy a lot of memory about 40%, may I know other refer to what ? So that I can delete those file in other to increase my space.

2.Itune also shown me Audio have 1.4 GB, when I go to Tab Music , I select sync music only selected artists , I only select 1 singer which I like most, but after sync , it load all artists . It there a way I can only force Itune to load only 1 mp3 music , so I can increase my memory space.

Paul

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
1. The Other category is all system stuff, and there is no direct way for you to delete it. It usually cleans itself up after syncing/backups, and occasionally after a restart. Tracking down problems after that can be a pain. People often report up to a GB of Other, that eventually decides to go away. Well, shrink. It never goes completely away. I think the smallest I've ever seen Other on my is .3GB.

2. When you choose the Selected music options there are four lists to go through. You need to make sure nothing is checked except what you want in each list. Also, make sure you do not have the Include Music Videos option checked. One video will take up more space than dozens of songs.

The Capacity bar changes as you select/deselect stuff, so you can get a rough idea of what gives you back the most space when you remove it.

Don't forget to go through the other sync pages and play with them too.

OP
P

paulyeo11

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi sirs,

Edit by Moderator - mention of pirate apps repo

Lucky many of apps I already store dropbox .and some app my data sync with provider server.

Now what I need to do is upgrade my iPad iOS to ver 4.3.3 now my ver 4.2.1

But not sure how to do it.

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
P

paulyeo11

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi sir

One more point I notice the yellow Other capacity is 6.2 GB , when I tick all tab not to sync , the yellow memory will not drop . Even I stop sync all contact email .

I think I will try to re format my iPad , I mean upgrade my frimware .

Can give me the step ?

Paul

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you twerp poet, for your help. Note to paulyeo11 - iPad Forums does not countenance the use of pirated or stolen apps - and it does not tolerate the discussion of any such use. You will receive no further help here.

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts