What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to edit XLS docs on iPad?

reggieroo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have some XLS docs that I need to work on, how do I do this on iPad? I read that I could use an app called documents 2 but when I try to open them I can read but not edit. I accessed them from my email attachments. I need to edit them & email them afterwards.

Edit: just checked the app again that I downloaded & excel docs are preview only.

Any free apps or a way I can edit docs?

Best regards

Paul

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Paul - there are a variety of office apps/suites that can be used to import & edit Excel spreadsheets - several excellent threads already exist in the forum if you care to do a search.

For myself, I use Numbers (part of Apple's iWork suite) - not free ($10 @ the App Store) - Excel files can be imported easily and saved in several formats. Check HERE for a detailed description of this app; also, scroll down to see a table that compares compatibility features between Numbers & Excel - the iPad app certainly does not have depth of features & functionality of Excel, so the table will help to determine if Numbers is right for you - good luck in your selection(s) - :)

OP
R

reggieroo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Paul - there are a variety of office apps/suites that can be used to import & edit Excel spreadsheets - several excellent threads already exist in the forum if you care to do a search.

For myself, I use Numbers (part of Apple's iWork suite) - not free ($10 @ the App Store) - Excel files can be imported easily and saved in several formats. Check HERE for a detailed description of this app; also, scroll down to see a table that compares compatibility features between Numbers & Excel - the iPad app certainly does not have depth of features & functionality of Excel, so the table will help to determine if Numbers is right for you - good luck in your selection(s) - :)

So with numbers I can open a simple XLS doc, edit & then email on to recipient? Will there be any loss of format at all, or will it stay the same as it was when emailed to me first time?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
So with numbers I can open a simple XLS doc, edit & then email on to recipient? Will there be any loss of format at all, or will it stay the same as it was when emailed to me first time?

Hi again Paul - what you asked above can be done on the iPad w/ Numbers; however, as I mentioned before the features & functions of the iPad app are more limited - checkout THIS LINK for more detailed discussion on handling Excel files on the iPad (quoted below is from that discussion) - there are also plenty of other google hits to explore. Good luck in your choice - :)

Unfortunately, when you import a file in Microsoft Excel format (.xls or .xlsx) or export a Numbers file in an Excel format, you permanently lose essential formatting, tracked changes, comments, and other file attributes. So, if you’re content to keep your Excel spreadsheets in Numbers format once they’re imported—or give up any unsupported formatting—Numbers is arguably your best choice. But if maintaining fidelity with original formatting is your top priority when working with Excel documents on an iPad, you’ll want to look for another solution.

OP
R

reggieroo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi again Paul - what you asked above can be done on the iPad w/ Numbers; however, as I mentioned before the features & functions of the iPad app are more limited - checkout THIS LINK for more detailed discussion on handling Excel files on the iPad (quoted below is from that discussion) - there are also plenty of other google hits to explore. Good luck in your choice - :)

Ok done some more google searching etc & was ready to purchase an app to do the job once I figured out which on would be most suitable & came across this. http://site.cloudon.com/ipad_static/

It suits me perfect as I had not long set up Google docs so I was able to use that to store my docs :)

Oh did I also mention it was free :)

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts