1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

How to edit XLS docs on iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad 3 Forum' started by reggieroo, Feb 25, 2013.

1. reggieroo

reggieroo iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have some XLS docs that I need to work on, how do I do this on iPad? I read that I could use an app called documents 2 but when I try to open them I can read but not edit. I accessed them from my email attachments. I need to edit them & email them afterwards.

Edit: just checked the app again that I downloaded & excel docs are preview only.

Any free apps or a way I can edit docs?

Best regards

Paul
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  2. giradman

giradman iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +764 / 0
    Hi Paul - there are a variety of office apps/suites that can be used to import & edit Excel spreadsheets - several excellent threads already exist in the forum if you care to do a search.

For myself, I use Numbers (part of Apple's iWork suite) - not free ($10 @ the App Store) - Excel files can be imported easily and saved in several formats. Check HERE for a detailed description of this app; also, scroll down to see a table that compares compatibility features between Numbers & Excel - the iPad app certainly does not have depth of features & functionality of Excel, so the table will help to determine if Numbers is right for you - good luck in your selection(s) - :)
  3. reggieroo

reggieroo iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you very much.
  4. reggieroo

reggieroo iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So with numbers I can open a simple XLS doc, edit & then email on to recipient? Will there be any loss of format at all, or will it stay the same as it was when emailed to me first time?
  5. giradman

giradman iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +764 / 0
    Hi again Paul - what you asked above can be done on the iPad w/ Numbers; however, as I mentioned before the features & functions of the iPad app are more limited - checkout THIS LINK for more detailed discussion on handling Excel files on the iPad (quoted below is from that discussion) - there are also plenty of other google hits to explore. Good luck in your choice - :)

6. reggieroo

reggieroo iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok done some more google searching etc & was ready to purchase an app to do the job once I figured out which on would be most suitable & came across this. http://site.cloudon.com/ipad_static/

It suits me perfect as I had not long set up Google docs so I was able to use that to store my docs :)

Oh did I also mention it was free :)
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2013