What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to do Cydia App Reboot with Tethered Jailbreak

darthluke12694

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
I currently have iOS 5 beta 2 installed on my iPad and I wanted to jailbreak it. Unfortunately the only jailbreak is a tethered jailbreak using redsn0w. So I successfully jailbreaked my iPad. I know how to reboot using a tethered jailbreak. However, how do you reboot the iPad when you install a Cydia app and it requires you to reboot. I click reboot, and the Apple Logo appears. I attempt to reboot using Redsn0w and it works....but when it reboots the ios is all screwed up. It's almost like I have the iPhone ios installed on my iPad. I restored my iPad and it's back to normal now without the jailbreak?

Anyone know why this happened? Also, how do you do a reboot after you install a Cydia App?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK, I'm going to take a stab at this. Realize that I know nothing about the iOS5 beta or its jailbreak and I'm just going to address one portion of your question...

Do you have SBSettings? Or, do you have access to or a way to re-spring your iPad? Because, in iOS 4.x, when the icons go all wonky and your iPad looks like an iPod (with tiny icons), all that's usually needed is to re-spring (not reboot) the iPad and it'll be fine.

BTW, respringing is just to reset the springboard application/GUI - the very topmost part of the iPad's system and you don't need to tether to do a respring. Reboot is when you actually shut down it OS and restart it (hence the need, in your case, for a tether).

I'm thinking that might be the same way you can fix your problem after rebooting the tethered jailbreak?

So, maybe re-jailbreak that iOS 5 beta and the next time you get iPod icons, try the above (assuming you do have the option to respring). Worth a shot, eh?

Just a thought...

Marilyn

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I currently have iOS 5 beta 2 installed on my iPad and I wanted to jailbreak it. Unfortunately the only jailbreak is a tethered jailbreak using redsn0w. So I successfully jailbreaked my iPad. I know how to reboot using a tethered jailbreak. However, how do you reboot the iPad when you install a Cydia app and it requires you to reboot. I click reboot, and the Apple Logo appears. I attempt to reboot using Redsn0w and it works....but when it reboots the ios is all screwed up. It's almost like I have the iPhone ios installed on my iPad. I restored my iPad and it's back to normal now without the jailbreak?

Anyone know why this happened? Also, how do you do a reboot after you install a Cydia App?

Also have to ask....which cydia app did you try to install?

OP
D

darthluke12694

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Mickey330 said:
OK, I'm going to take a stab at this. Realize that I know nothing about the iOS5 beta or its jailbreak and I'm just going to address one portion of your question...

Do you have SBSettings? Or, do you have access to or a way to re-spring your iPad? Because, in iOS 4.x, when the icons go all wonky and your iPad looks like an iPod (with tiny icons), all that's usually needed is to re-spring (not reboot) the iPad and it'll be fine.

BTW, respringing is just to reset the springboard application/GUI - the very topmost part of the iPad's system and you don't need to tether to do a respring. Reboot is when you actually shut down it OS and restart it (hence the need, in your case, for a tether).

I'm thinking that might be the same way you can fix your problem after rebooting the tethered jailbreak?

So, maybe re-jailbreak that iOS 5 beta and the next time you get iPod icons, try the above (assuming you do have the option to respring). Worth a shot, eh?

Just a thought...

Marilyn

No I didn't have SBSettings installed. I just installed the jailbreak, then the very first Cydia App I tried to install was BrowserChanger which required a reboot. I guess next time I should try and install SBSettings first and then do the respring if anything goes wrong.

Thank you!!

OP
D

darthluke12694

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com

Just a thought...

Marilyn

I tried what you suggested and unfortunately it didn't work. So I'll just have to restore my iPad and wait for another jailbreak or wait until an untethered jailbreak comes out for iOS 5. Thanks anyway though!

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When your iPad reboots and "looks like an iPhone", this is a clue that the app you just installed is not compatible with the current IOS. It used to happen occasionally with iPhone apps when you tried them on the iPad, however it will happen with LOTS of apps on IOS5.
Remember the warning, the tethered iOS5 redsn0w jailbreak was supposed to be for JB Application Developers only. Many many things will be broken, such as Browser Changer...
Best advice is get yourself back onto stock IOS5b2 or 4.3.3 jailbroken. In this case, beta really does mean beta!

Most reactions

Latest posts