1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

how to disable IOS update?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacking' started by yeahman45, Jan 23, 2012.

1. yeahman45

yeahman45 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    hi got my ipad 2 on saturday.. was on 5.0 .. updated to 5.0.1.. waited for windows version of JB to come out.... jailbroken it on Sunday :) ... perfect timing lol ... now i want to disable any IOS update/notification so that i don't lose JB... how can i do it? plz? it's my first ios product
  2. Mickey330

Mickey330 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,666 / 0
    If you're talking on the iPad itself, you can't disable the notification badge (when it appears - it's direct from Apple). All you can do is ignore it.

In iTunes, you can turn off the notification box pop-up. If there is an update available, you will get the pop-up. Before you reject it (that's the important part!), there's a box you can tick to say "don't remind/ask me again." I don't remember exactly what it says - it was so long ago that I told iTunes this ... and I can't find a setting to do it outside of that pop-up box.

The most important thing is to read all the pop-ups iTunes throws at you. They're sneaky and usually, the default is to accept whatever iTunes/Apple wants you to do. Ya just gotta be vigilant! :D

Hope this helps.

Marilyn
  3. Bob Maxey

Bob Maxey iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +73 / 0
    It says this: "If you want iTunes to not ask you again, tick this check box and iTunes will not tell you what we think you do not want to hear, thereby allowing iTunes to do what we want you not to not want."

Watch the Southpark video about the Humanceitipad to learn what can happen when you do not read all 1206 pages of Apple's TOS Agreement. Just today I learned that I put Apple in my will and they own my dog outright.
  4. kocoman

kocoman iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Is it possible to block the check via the /etc/hosts file?